Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Antique Expert?

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

I watched a BBC1 programme this afternoon, called something like 'Treasured Treasures' (?).

There was an antique expert on the programme and amongst the items he found was a WWI trio, it was at this point that I sat up and took notice :).

I know that these people can't be experts on everything they see, but what he said next stunned me.

He picked up a 1915 Star, held it to the camera and said 'this is the Mons Star'. He then picked up a BWM and said a few words about that before getting to the Victory Medal. This was awarded to everyone who took part in the war (according to him)!

He then valued the group, which I think was to the Cheshire Regiment and all in their boxes of issue with paperwork. The value? £30-40.

I know that medal prices are subject to some very strange highs and lows, but if this was a 1914 Trio (as he was claiming it was) then it should fetch at least £70. Even as a 1915 Trio it should reach at least £60.

So, have a guess as to how much the Trio (+ boxes & paperwork), a WD marked pocket watch & a WWII dated Army sleeping bag went for?

All too common... The Antiques Roadshow 'medals' expert always massively undervalues. He had brought to him the WW2 medals of someone who flew in the Dambusters raid. He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying). A rare award. Just over 100 ever awarded before abolished in 1992 honours review.

A Dambusters one would HAVE to go to auction. It would be a major feature of an auction season. It also had all the paperwork, signed pictures. He valued it at the 'going rate' for an 'ordinary' CGM(F) 'It could fetch more...' And some. There would be feeding frenzy. It would get in the newspapers. So, pinch of salt required.

On Saturday, I looked at a couple of Australian trios, 14-15 star at a shop in Flinders Lane, Melbourne and the retail price as is (no paperwork, etc) was A$179, A$184. Thats roughly 45 pound.

Guest Hill 60

The medals, boxes, paperwork, watch, WWII sleeping bag AND a pair of WD marked binoculars (which I'd forgotten about) all went for £40.

Definate result for £40, as stated the sets usually go for £60-70 for a trio 1915 star, and £100+ for the Mons trio depending on Regt or Corps.

Pairs usually around 30-40 depending on Regt or Corps.

Casualties obviously raise the price considerably, even single medals top £60+.

I've noticed also Welch, RWF, SWB and Monmouths go for even more than your normal Infantry sets- any reason why?

I must agree with Phil's comments about auction prices. I have seem many auctioneers catalogues with estimates at very tempting prices. Good crowd pullers it would seem.

In the end, and perhaps a self evident truth, the monetry value of any item is only what people are prepared to pay for it.

Terry Reeves

Guest Hill 60
I have seem many auctioneers catalogues with estimates at very tempting prices. Good crowd pullers it would seem.

This programme isn't auction house based. In this one the people selling the items do so at a car boot sale!

Yep, 14-15 star trio's £60 - £65, sad really how in the last couple of years they just keep steadily going up and up!! It's annoying that prices seem to be marked up more from one fair to the next, collecting even 'average' (by that I mean where a dealer has not found from paperwork that the soldier was wounded, gassed etc to mark the price etc !!!!) trio's is now becoming an expensive hobby. Cheers Drummy.

About 5 years ago,Spinks of London auctioned the campaign medals of the three Buckle brothers of Tockwith,Wetherby, Yorkshire for £480.

The medals were bought by anonymous buyer and appear to have been initially claimed by their parents posthumously as all three lost their lives on the Western Front.Their sons were lost at yearly intervals from 1916,the first one being killed on the Somme on September 3 1916.

Maybe these medals are still being held in one collection and not split.

Regards

Frank East