Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Service For The Princess Irene

Tony P

The family of the sole survivor of the Princess Irene disaster in May 1915 will be in Sheerness on May the 28th to mark the 90th anniversary.

Lt Commander Peter Puxty, of Sheppey Sea Cadets, will meet the party in Queenborough and take them out to the spot where the Irene Blew up.

A bugler will play the last post and a wreath will be laid upon the water to commemorate the death of some 278 officers and men who served on the ship.

A second service will be held at the cenotaph in Sheerness, which bears the names of all who died in the tragedy. All the crew (except David Percy Wills) perished including 76 dockyard workers.

If anyone who lost relatives or friends onboard the Irene and feel they would like to attend or maybe they would like to send me an E/mail with a message of rememberance I would be happy to read this out at the service.

The time of the service is yet to be finalised but I will post this on the forum nearer the date. Feel free to contact me regarding this matter if you have any queries.

Best wishes

Tony P

Tony,

It is good that this catastrophe is being remembered, I hope that it all goes well.

Andy

Tony,

It is good that this catastrophe is being remembered, I hope that it all goes well.

Andy

Hello Andy

I know this Ship is one close to your heart, and thanks for your interest.

Best Wishes

Tony P