Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mt. Piana and Drei Zinnen (Italy)

Marco

P1020175-1.jpg

No.4

TOUR OF COL DI MEZZO ROUTE. From Malga di Rinbianco (1841 m) to Forcella dell'Arghena (2087 m) and Forcella Col di Mezzo (2315 m). Descent: along Acqua Valley; red trail marker.

ELEVATION GAIN/LOSS. About 450 metres.

ESTIMATED TIME. About 3,30 hours.

DIFFICULTY. Course on military roads and paths; excursion route.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

P1020177-1.jpg

No.5.

MISURIANA – MOUNT PIANA ROUTE. From the toll-road site to the Tre Cime (1866 m) across the Val di Rinbianco.

Descent: down the carriageway of Mount Piana until Forcella Alta and then, along the "Sentieri del fronte" (paths to the front), to the Antorno Lake and the "casello" (toll gate).

Trail marker: 108 – 103 – 111 (ex. No.6) – 122.

ELEVATION GAIN/LOSS. About 650 metres.

ESTIMATED TIME. About 4-5 hours.

DIFFICULTY. Excursion route.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

There are two or three more suggested routes and I will add these later

2001 and 2005, how time flies!

Great to hear from you Marco; any thoughts on going back again?

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

The next route suggested by the Provincia di Belluno's notice boards

P1020179-1.jpg

No.6

A. BOSI HUT AND MONTE PIANA ROUTE. From Misurina (1756 m) to Rifugio Magg. Angelo Bosi (2205 m) via the carriageway, the front paths and Forcella Alta (2000 m). Descent: along the war path of the Southern Plateau, the carriageway, Forcella Alta and the Artillery Path until the Lake of Antorno (1866 m).

Trail marker: No. 122 – 6a

ELEVATION GAIN/LOSS. About 550 metres

ESTIMATED TIME. 3 hours

DIFFICULTY. Excursion route, even if the visit to the defence works and paths of the top plateau front show some exposed passages. These difficult passages are nevertheless protected by abundant safety equipment.

P1020181-1.jpg

No.7

CRISTALLINO DI MISURINA ROUTE. Misurina (1752 m) via Casera di Misurina (1795 m) and Forcella delle Pale (2140 m) to Valle delle Baracche, via Forcella Michele (2590 m) up to the summit of Cristallino di Misurina (2775 m). Descent: by the same trail. Trail m. No. 224 – red – tracks. Period recommended for trekking: from midst July to late August.

ELEVATION GAIN/LOSS. About 1100 metres considering the short stretch of descent in Val Popena Alta.

ESTIMATED TIME: 3 – 3,30 hours for the ascent and 2 – 2,30 hours for the descent [TOTAL time about 5 to 6 hours!]

DIFICULTY. Route for expert excursionists. Sometimes it is necessary to perform climbing without objective risks (1°); exposed tracts on unsecured and unstable rocks

This is the last of the suggested routes on the notice board which is titled 'The places of the Great War in the Province of Belluno' The fine print indicates that the work on this information board is by the Instituto Geografico Militare and dates from October 2005

P1020183-1.jpg

No.8

VALLE DELLE BARACCHE (THE VALLEY OF THE SHEDS) ROUTE. Ponte della Val Popena Alta via Val Popena Alta until "Quota 2000"; then, across the Valle delle Baracche to Passo Popena (2400 m). Then, along tracks, up to Sella di Popena (2214 m).

Descent: through war mule track towards Misurina.

Trail m. No.222 – tracks – red.

ELEVATION GAIN/LOSS. About 900 metres

ESTIMATED TIME. 5 – 6 hours.

DIFFICULTY. Course on military roads and paths; possible difficulties of orientation in case of fog. It is necessary to have two cars at one's disposal, one at the starting point and the other one at the place of arrival.

The only advice which I can pass on to others regarding walking this battlefield is to repeat that which was given on the notice boards provided by the Province. (These may be available in leaflet form somewhere, but I could not find one)

The maps and their illustrations, as well as the English translation are the copyright of the Provincia di Belluno, as is ALL responsibility for the comments on the 'difficulty' of the various routes.

As mentioned above, during the short time that I was in the Dolomites I was unable to find descriptions of these battlefield treks in leaflet form. Now, scratching around the web however, I have managed to find something further on the first two routes: see

http://c21.regione.veneto.it/opencms/export/sites/default/CMA/CMA/Vivere/I_luoghi_della_Grande_Guerra/Cartine_tematiche/01_ing.pdf

Perhaps there's more out there somewhere?

Not the Drei Zinnen, but nearby

For more web info on battlefield tourism in this part of the Dolomites

See http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/laga5torri/musei/index.html

With details of museums, photo gallery and videos all to encourage summer and winter battlefield touring in this area

also check out http://www.grandeguerra.dolomiti.org/default.html