Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Padre

BeppoSapone

I have a picture of a WW1 Padre, unless I am wrong about his collar badges. I don't suppose that they wore "dog collars" all of the time?

This picture is printed, rather than being an actual photo. Also, there is no name on it. This leads me to assume that the man in question was well known at the time. So, does anybody recognise him today?

Unfortunately, like much of the printing of this era, the card has not scanned too well. However, I hope that it is clear enough for him to be recognised.

TIA

Tony

post-1110-1116143593.jpg

Unfortunately, like much of the printing of this era, the card has not scanned too well. However, I hope that it is clear enough for him to be recognised.

Tony, does your scanning software have a "Descreen" or "Remove Moiré" setting? This kind of patterning is very common when halftone images (pictures comprised of small dots) are scanned.

Gary

Tony, does your scanning software have a "Descreen" or "Remove Moiré" setting? This kind of patterning is very common when halftone images (pictures comprised of small dots) are scanned.

Gary

Gary

Thanks for that. Sorry to say that my software does not have either of the settings that you mention.

However, now that I know that something can be done about the dots I will play around with the buttons and knobs that I do have.

I get this image sometimes when i scan. Usually i can get rid of it if i resize the image.

regards

Arm.

I get this image sometimes when i scan. Usually i can get rid of it if i resize the image.

That's another technique that produces fairly good results too, Arm, especially if blur and unsharp are used. There are some useful tips on scanning mages from newspapers and magazines here. However, perhaps I've hijacked Tony's thread enough now.

Gary

That's another technique that produces fairly good results too, Arm, especially if blur and unsharp are used. There are some useful tips on scanning mages from newspapers and magazines here. However, perhaps I've hijacked Tony's thread enough now.

Gary

Hijack away Gary. Am off to read the 'scantips'!

Meanwhile, I have tried re-sizing. I will post the result here:

post-1110-1116230122.jpg

Bob might br right - attached is a photo from Ann Clayton's book on Noel. Photo dates from 1907

Andrew

Thanks Bob and Andrew. It looks as if you could be right.

Andrew, in your book, what was Noel Chevasse's VCs brother called? Was it Aiden or did he have more than one brother?

"Captain Noel Chevasse, son of the Bishop of Liverpool. Capt. Chevasse’s 26-year-old brother Aiden also went missing, presumed dead, in the Ypres salient; his name appears on the Menin gate."

I was going to check with the CWGC in order to see if the brother was a Padre. Due to some sort of glitch I can't get either brother via the search option.

• Admin

The picture of Noel in running clothes has Noel and his twin brother Christopher. Christopher was ordained and served as an army Chaplain. Noel had two other brothers, Aidan who was killed and Bernard who served in the RAMC.

IMHO I don't think it is Christopher in the original picture

Rev Christopher Chavasse died in 1962

Edited by Michelle Young

Michelle

Having seen a known picture of Christopher Chavasse I take your point.

The question remains. Who is it?

Who would have been well enough known to have their photo printed without the need to have their name on it?