Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

tracking down war medals

Guest lynsey1

Guest lynsey1

Apart from medals being handed down from generation to generation,has anyone ever tracked down missing family medals or found them elsewhere,maybe owned by a collector or being advertised for sale,does this happen very often or is it a rare event.

regards lynsey

Guest Hill 60

Lynsey - A couple of years back I had a group of medals to an officer called Peel. One of his descendents bought the group from me, for what I paid for them. Peel (both of them!) were related to Sir Robert Peel, he of the Peelers.

For years, I searched for medals to my great uncles who were killed in the Great War, my father said that the groups were split up amongst relatives.

I gave up after finding out that they were all together, with a relative, and under a glass cover in a coffee table! Trouble was that my father has even sat at the table and rested his coffee on it and never saw the medals and plaques under the glass, what a bampot!

Lynsey - A couple of years back I had a group of medals to an officer called Peel.

This wasn't Major Home Peel was it?

Reuniting medals is VERY rare, and happens maybe once every seven to ten years, if your lucky. I have had the fortune of uniting medals three times in twenty five+ years.

1. Purchased the single Memorial Plaque and (other documents) to 26th Battalion (New Brunswick Regt.) CEF. Later that same year his BWM, Vict. and Canadian Memorial Cross appeared on a local auction list.

2. Purchased the BWM, Vict. and Canadian Memorial Cross to 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles. Eleven years later his Memorial Plaque appeared on a medal dealers list. Unfortunately Lieut. Steer's medals are still far from being complete. He is entitled to the Kings and Queens SA medals and the 1914-15 Star.

3. Lastly I purchased the Memorial Plaque to a 1/1 Herfd's man died at Gallipoli. I advertised for information about this soldier on a web site, and in a matter of days I was contacted by a collector in the UK who owns his 1914-15 Trio! I immediately sold him the Memorial Plaque, as it's rightful place is with the other medals.

It breaks my heart to see the hundreds of scattered singles on the market, each one having been separated along the way by someone for what ever reason. I see this as being the ultimate disrespect to the soldier the medals commemorate.

I am proud to add, that members of this forum have in the past acted swiftly and as a team to stop the destruction of at least two groups.

(PS: My own family is missing the medals and Memorial Plaque to our own fallen soldier,

Guest Hill 60

Paul - No, 'fraid not. To be honest I can't recal the name and the records I had vanished along with the memory of my old PC :(

Guest lynsey1

Thanks to all for replies, thats a great story mordac, i was hoping to hear something like this and it was very good of you to offer the medals back at the price you paid,restores my faith in humanity,i believe that medals belong with the families,its such a shame that sets get broken,which reminds me my brother has quite a collection,maybe i,ll get him to do a little research and find out where they belong,you never know, the families may be looking for them.

lynsey

Hi lynsey:

It wasn't me, it was Dave (aka Croonaert). And I agree, his offer does restore ones faith in humanity! Hopefully Dave will update this story.

Garth

Guest Ian Bowbrick

In February this year I located and purchased the 1900 China War Medal that was issued to my great-great-uncle who served on HMS Marathon. Paid over the odds for it but it was well worth having.

Ian

I agree, it is quite sad to see on eBay, rarely I might add, sellers breaking trios and pair to get maximum profit. I was bidding for a Queens Regt BWM not realising the seller had posted the VM seperately. Luckily I got in contact with the other buyer (in Holland) and we managed to reunite the pair, which could have never been reunited.

The seller didn't see the problem, but I am sure he was selling just as 'medals'

Having about 30 pairs and trios I am always watching to see if a family are searching, so a set could be returned to were they belong. Like previously posted this is a rare occurence and I have never had the pleasure of returning a set.

Hopefully Dave will update this story.

Nothing to update really.

John sent me about 6 emails proving his relationship (he didn't really have to go that far!) including items such as birth certificates and family photos etc. He is an amateur geneologist and has been trying to find out all he can about his family's part in the Great War (hence his posting on this site).

Anyway, he was extremely happy with his "find" and sent me a picture of the trio, now nicely framed with photos and badges related to his relative's service.

He even went as far as to send (by post!!!) a crate of beer on my birthday!!!! Now that's what I call a gent!!!! :D

Dave.

Paul - No, 'fraid not. To be honest I can't recal the name and the records I had vanished along with the memory of my old PC :(

No worries mate - he was just someone who interests me and I wondered if it was him.