Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victoria Belle Hennan Can. Army Medical Corps

robbie

I found this nurse's gravestone In Shorncliffe Military Cemetery yesterday.

I wonder what she died from? Perhaps the flu?

the gravestone looks very new, too.

Robbie

post-4246-1116142482.jpg

Do the Canadians spell "Honour" the American way?

I wondered if this could this be a clue that she was an American?

According to her papers she was Canadian born, but did she join up in England?

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/well2/237296a.gif

Good point, Beppo. I missed that.

Thanks so much for her sign up details.

How would one find out whether she signed up in England?

Robbie

From my Register on Victoria Belle Hennan

Remarks: Born ; Roland, Manitoba, Canada/10/12/1886. Daughter of Dorothy Catherine Hennan of Elkhorn, Manitoba. However the attestation papers dated 7th December 1917 show Victoria’s home address being that of her mother (next of kin) at Ernfold, Saskatchewan. She was a Methodist. The attestation papers show that Victoria had been working for a year as a staff nurse with the QAIMNSR at Trent Bridge Military Hospital, Nottingham, England and as she was taken on the strength of the CAMC on the 1st January 1918 this service was likely to have been immediately previous. She was posted to 9 Canadian General Hospital on the 2nd January 1918 and died there of influenza following pneumonia on the 3rd November 1918. Commemorated on Page 427 of the Canadian First World War Book of Remembrance. CWGC. YMP7

Appreciate this Jim.

Robbie

Canadians generally include the "u" in honour, however, during the Great War either spelling seems to have been used - this comes out in my reading the various war diaries.

I have not studied the spelling on headstones and perhaps someone can undertake a sampling when and if there is the interest.

As a final comment, I have driven through Elkhorn, Manitoba many times and am quite familiar with Ernfold - both are small villages now.

• 1 year later...
I found this nurse's gravestone In Shorncliffe Military Cemetery yesterday.

I wonder what she died from? Perhaps the flu?

the gravestone looks very new, too.

Robbie

Can anyone help me with downloading this picture? i've had a request from a new member in Canada who is related to this nurse. I've had a change or two of computers since then as well as a rebuild on a laptop and i cannot find it anywhere.

Chris could you please help here?

Best wishes

Robbie

Can anyone help me with downloading this picture? i've had a request from a new member in Canada who is related to this nurse. I've had a change or two of computers since then as well as a rebuild on a laptop and i cannot find it anywhere.

Best wishes

Robbie

Wade I have found it on an old machine. Could you email me and i'll send it back as an attachment?

Robbie

Best wishes

Robbie

If the relation has any more information on this lady please ask them to contact me so that my Register can be uppated. Thank you, Jim

Victoria Hennan has a file at The National Archives covering her period of service with Queen Alexandra's Imperial Nursing Service Reserve - WO399/3757.

Sue