Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand soldier KIA

Aaron Nelson

Hi,

I have reserched my Great Uncles death.

I have discovered roughly where he was when he died (Somme) , I know the date, 26th September 1916.

My question is, were there any official documents filled out when a soldier was killed describing how the soldier was killed. If so where would these be stored. I have his service record and all it states is the date of death, not how he was killed.

We are just curious to know.

Any pal who can point me in the right direction, I would be most apreciative.

thanks Aaron.

Dear Aaron

Best I can come up with is that the NZ Division was holding its front at Flers Village that day without making any attacks, but it did come under heavy German artillery around midday. I'm not sure which Regiments were in the Line that day, but there was definite heavy shelling of our troops in the forward trenches. The Germans also attacked in Brigade strngth across No Man's Land on the NZ right flank and apparently this attack was hit hard by our artillery. "Peace" was restored by around 6pm. Seems likely therefore that your Great Uncle was killed in the region of Flers, possibly by German artillery fire, possibly during activity to counter the German infantry advance.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrew

Aaron

Seems pretty certain that 1 Auckland were in the forward trenches on 26 September 1916.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

Thats great info, my Great Uncle was in the 1st Auckland Battalion and they were in the front line trenches that day.

thanks again, best regards Aaron.

Have you accessed his records from personel archives?

Yes Captian Dave I have got that, no mention of how he was killed there.

Below is the official History of the 1st Auckland Battalion and the description of its activities on the day in question, 26th September 1916.

“ Shortly after midday 26th September heavy shelling in rear of our front line and on Flers village and the Flers system seemed to presage an enemy attack and indicate an attempt to bar the advance of our supports. A brigade of German infantry was also seen advancing from Ligny Thilloy and Le Barque in the direction of Factory Corner and of the 55ths division line on our right. As they took cover for assembly in the corn and the long grass, the artillery supporting the 55th Division and the heavies searched the area, and on the Germans advancing into the open in extended order, the guns broke into salvos of destruction. The attack withered away, and the fleeing remnants were annihilated by the 3rd and 4th Artillery brigades and English batteries. By 6pm all was quiet on the right. On the left, the 1st Wellington company bombed some distance up Flers support. While no movement of importance took place on the New Zealanders front on the 26th, welcome progress was being effected elsewhere.”

So in this quote the shelling described by Andrew seems to be behind 1st Auckland position. The history does describe days when shelling occurred in 1st Auckland position. There were 25 men of 1st Auckland killed that day. Any ideas at all?

thanks Aaron.

Aaron

I can find no record of gas being used that day by ther Germans, so I guess, and it is only that, that artillery or rifle fire was the likely cause of his fatal wounds, but as you say the official record puts the heavy shelling in rear of the front trenches (apologies for this mistake by me yesterday). The entire Regiment may not have been all in the forward trenches - he may have gone back to help with supplies or anything. As a long shot, if you know of any of his mates that survived the war, there is always a very small chance a letter or diary entry in the archives at Waiouru may exist. Very long shot I am afraid. I'll keep looking for you.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Really appreciate your comments, I understand its nigh on impossible and we may never know how he was killed. I just thought that when a casualty occurred, knowing the army, you would think that a form of some sort was filled out by someone filling out the report. He was never buried, his body was left out in no mans land, so that could lead to artillery as there may have been no body to bury !!!! :huh:

cheers Aaron.

Aaron

I've had a look in the Canterbury & Otago Official histories, both were in the forward line with 1/Auckland on the 26th. Neither history makes mention of anything on the 26th except night patrols prior to the major attack of the 27th. Appears the wire infront of the Auckland line of attack had not been breeched by the artillery so maybe a small chance your uncle was on patrol and was shot? Seems a bit unlikely given no mention in the Auckland history, but who knows..

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew,

I think I have solved the mystery, I recently received the war diary for my Great Uncles unit, 1st Auckland Battalion.

Diary entry for the day he was killed reads.

"26th September Still Digging, Casualties from our own guns 4.5"and 6"

So it would appear according to this that he was killed by the British artillery :(

and :angry:

Obviously one of the hazards of war, "friendly fire"

Given no mention of any other action taking place that day as per your research and entries above. Is it fair to come to the conclusion he was most likely killed in this manner ???? Any thoughts ??

Sad eh!!

cheers

Aaron.