Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

I wish also to add my sorrow at the news of Andre's passing. Unfortunately I never met him but I and many others thank him for his work over many years.

His Finding many of the 'Boys' lost to us those many years ago in the mud and carnage of WW1.

The Diggers do undervalued work and their finds help us to appreciate, understand, value and record what occured in that hallowed ground 1914-18.

Terry W.

terry yer right in what ye say undervalued thats why i sell de badges to help them in their work

hope i can sell more

bruce

Hello Bruce.

Forgive me, I am quite new to the Forum (April 2006).

Badges? Would you PM me and give me more information?

Regards.

Terry W.

Just before we went back to normal business today the family of Andre met us and gave us this card.

169221135_c7616db1e5_o.jpg

The text reads "A friend does not die, he lives on in the heart of his real friends".

Although Andre left us to early, for him personnally he left us on a high point in his life.

He was deeply touched by the way he was received in Canada.

He was a very honest and down to earth person who had a great compassion for the soldiers and the conditions of the soldiers of the great war. This he carried out in great style in the form of his photo albums and his stories. We will miss him when one of the many busses with schoolchildren were stood glued to his lips listening to what he had to tell.

Back to business. Today we were at the side of the waterpurification plant on the road from Essex Farm Cemetery to Boezinge. There are going to be some major building works done on this spot and we are looking if there is anything left of any interest before the bulldozers move in.

On the foto's the start of todays pits in boiling weather.

169246434_1ef2b4256d_o.jpg

169246402_145c313884_o.jpg

In the background you can clearly see the canal dyke and the Ieper Industrial estate.

This position was not to far removed from the front lines and would have been fired on heavely by the germans in 1915, after the third battle of Ieper many camps were positiond along the canal bank.

Not to far from this position is also the tunnel the British build under the canal of which the entrance is still blocked on the Industrial estate side. The tunnel was looked in and located several years ago.

It did not take to long before the items started appearing.

Glass bottle for food.

169457564_e0b0562923_o.jpg

A comb with the word military on.

169457502_7e0efd91d9_o.jpg

And one of several waterbottles found today.

169457480_12e9bf6887_o.jpg

Hello Bruce.

Forgive me, I am quite new to the Forum (April 2006).

Badges? Would you PM me and give me more information?

Regards.

Terry W.

HOORAY! He'll be right round your house this very day, Terry!

Marina

Frans and the other Diggers,

I think it's a beautiful gift andré's family gave you... And

I'm sure all the Diggers agree with the text on the card.

It's nice to see that everyone wants to keep andré's spirit alive,

since he was such a support to everyone, i'm sure he'll live on

in our memories for years yet to come...

regards, nice findings,

wouter

HOORAY! He'll be right round your house this very day, Terry!

Marina

You know me too well :D

bruce

and yes the deed is done

bruce

just a question,

why did the store food in glass bottles?:huh:

better preservation, or no special reason?

Regards,

wouter who's busy studying :(

just a question,

why did the store food in glass bottles?:huh:

better preservation, or no special reason?

Regards,

wouter who's busy studying :(

Hi Wouter,

I think it was stil the main way to preserve and package food stuffs.

Frans;

Good luck with the studies.

Just before we went back to normal business today the family of Andre met us and gave us this card.

169221135_c7616db1e5_o.jpg

The text reads "A friend does not die, he lives on in the heart of his real friends".

Although Andre left us to early, for him personnally he left us on a high point in his life.

He was deeply touched by the way he was received in Canada.

He was a very honest and down to earth person who had a great compassion for the soldiers and the conditions of the soldiers of the great war. This he carried out in great style in the form of his photo albums and his stories. We will miss him when one of the many busses with schoolchildren were stood glued to his lips listening to what he had to tell.

Frans

a lovely gesture by his family Andrea was a well respected person and will be missed i know ,just gratefull that i met him

bruce

Frans and the rest of the dediggers.

I am so sorry to hear of Andreas passing my condolances to his Family and his friends. Just remember a man is not dead until he is forgotten, I am sure Anreas will never be forgotten.

John

I am back in november Frans we will meet again.

Frans and the rest of the dediggers.

I am so sorry to hear of Andreas passing my condolances to his Family and his friends. Just remember a man is not dead until he is forgotten, I am sure Anreas will never be forgotten.

John

I am back in november Frans we will meet again.

Hi John,

Looking forward to november. The book on ammunitions you made for us is used very regulary by many members. A great peace of work.

Frans

We had some really good finds on saturday. Items that showed that the soldiers did many other things than just fighting.

This is very rare, a mouth organ.

169891892_6bfab569bb_o.jpg

169891956_8727b822d8_o.jpg

Sometimes you find items like this beautifull porcelain perfume box that make you think.

It becomes personnal when you see this item which was picked with care by a soldier for a loved one.

The perfume shop L.T. Piver still excists today as does the manufacturer of the box Faience Sarreguemines.

This wisdom was given to me by fellow Digger Pol.

169937313_5073513a16_o.jpg

169937276_f456ddbf14_o.jpg

169937343_3454a2b254_o.jpg

What wonderful finds Frans much more interesting then the hundreds of shells you find, once you have seen one shell you seen them all :lol:

Annette

Indeed Frans, It surely makes you think...

I can understand it becomes personnal...

but i presume that's the beauty of your hobby...

marvellous finds,

thanks for post #1001....

As i've seen that i wrote post # 1000, the next drink's on me!! :D

that's when i have the chance to see you guys...

only 5 more days of examinations, and then only my hobbie counts :rolleyes:

(that is: looking at your finds with much respect, astonishment and writing some comments :) )

Regards wouter

What wonderful finds Frans much more interesting then the hundreds of shells you find, once you have seen one shell you seen them all :lol:

Annette

Annette regarding the ammunition I have to agree with you. I know you ment it with a sense of humour but I have had days when one after the other comes out of the ground and it gets a bit tedious.

Saturday was good fun because it showed many aspects of how a soldier spent his time in the trenches.

I do put ammunition maybe sometimes to much, but it does gives a certain feel of proportion of what was lobbed at the soldiers and what we find in other items.

Frans

Washing the mud off that bottle and seeing that beautiful blue-green glass sparkle must have been wonderful Hard to believe it could survive the maelstrom, sit in the ground for ninety years and come out without a scratch !

There's a deep and meaningful analogy in there somewhere, I'm sure...!

Jim

Now we come to the dinner section. :D

A full tin of corned beef.

170768963_b69edbf49a_o.jpg

Another tin openend and consumed.

170768840_e185787b60_o.jpg

Here we have Pol photographing the items with Guido. We always have at least two of us taking photo's just incase anyting happens to one of the camera's or when storing the photo's.

170768899_d59c1787df_o.jpg