Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

thames farm info wanted !!!

bkristof

Does anyone has info on Thames Farm at Zonnebeke, next to the railroad.

Everything is welcome.

I am certainly looking for info about the pillbox who was there.

And the history of the place.

Afraid I don't have much info, Kristof, but this (1918) map shows the location of all the "concrete" in the area (part of "Flandern Stellung I" ?). I've a about 3 maps from 1917 (September and December) showing this location also, if you need them.

I don't have anything on the history of the place, but I believe that it would have been captured by soldiers of either the 2nd or 3rd Australian Divisions on October 4th 1917 (I'm not going to commit myself, because I don't know for certain, and I've no references in front of me).

I hope that this helps out a bit.

Dave.

post-357-1116116894.jpg

Any little bit helps!

Thx! ;)

Kristoff

I have a photo postcard of a burial with this message on the reverse: "Wargrave-on-Thames", 10-1-1915. Lots of officers (I think they are) and 5 actually in the grave digging.

Robbie

if i may have a scan... B)

if i may have a scan...  B)

I haven't quite got the hang of my new scanner here at home. If you think it's relevant you can have it. PM me your postal address.

Robbie

Kristof, the Australian history, by Bean, gives much info on fighting around Thames and the pillboxes there, in the 1917 volume. sorry I can't scan at present, but you may have access to a copy, Peter.

ok THX!!!

Kristoff

I have a photo postcard of a burial with this message on the reverse: "Wargrave-on-Thames", 10-1-1915. Lots of officers (I think they are) and 5 actually in the grave digging.

Robbie

Robbie

There is a place in Engand called Wargrave - on -Thames. I would be interested to hear if there is anything else written on the card such as an address.

Maggie

Robbie

There is a place in Engand called Wargrave - on -Thames. I would be interested to hear if there is anything else written on the card such as an address.

Maggie

I must admit, Myrtle, that at first I did think it was a burial in England. But the surroundings didn't look right, and i couldn't explain why 3 unirmoed men who look like english officers were standing in the grave and had been disturbed in their diggning by the photographer.

I have snail-posted it to Kristoff today. Perhaps he will scan it when he receives it.

Robbie

I will scan it and post it!