Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"A" certificate and comissions

gporta

Just a question regarding commissions in the British army.

Some time ago, I checked some documents in PRO Kew, to get background information about the inner workings of OTCs in WWI. The most extensive document I read was a 1908 one. Among other things, it stated that only the OTC trainees who got the "A" certificate would be considered suitable applicants for commissions.

This was, of course, before the war. But I think that the need of junior officers must of course been greater as the number of casualties grew. Would then be the "A" certificate still be required for a young man with OTC training who wanted to join a Cadet Training unit?

I am particularly curious about what happened post-1916: Brigadier E.A. James mentions that after february 1916, only two types of candidates would be considered for commisions: those with experience in the front, or those with no experience but OTC training. In both cases, they would train in Officer Cadet Battalion and then be commissioned if suitable (if my information is right). No mention is made there of "A" certificate being requested to those youngsters coming from OTCs.

Brig. James also says that a young candidate had to wait till age 18 and six months to be admitted in a Officer Cadet Battalion. what did a young man about to be called up (well, conscripted) interested in a comission do? Apply for a deferment in his joining-up? or train as a ranker until he reached the age?

More information about OTCs will be welcome. I'm interested in Junior Division but general info about the inner workings of Senior Division and Officer Cadet Battalions will be welcome.

Gloria

Gloria

This is actually quite a complicated subject and difficult to provide a succinct reply.

I do have a fairly lengthy chapter on officer selection and training in my book Call to Arms (see Chris Baker's very flattering review in the main website), which I think will answer most of your queries.

I hope that this does not sound too much like a sales pitch!

Charles M

Gloria

This is actually quite a complicated subject and difficult to provide a succinct reply.

I do have a fairly lengthy chapter on officer selection and training in my book Call to Arms (see Chris Baker's very flattering review in the main website), which I think will answer most of your queries.

I hope that this does not sound too much like a sales pitch!

Charles M

Charles,

The bibliographical suggestion is entirely welcome :) . In fact, I had read the praise on the book, and it was already in my want list. If it contains information relevant to the OTC subject, more the better. (A further question: is the subject of post-1916 British army procedures well covered? Sometimes I find that most books on the Great War cover quite well the early years -men volunteering into Kitchener bns. etc...- but then just devote a few passing mentions to the matter of conscription)

Since we're into bibliographical reference (which is very welcome), I'd like to know if anyone around here has read L.J. Collins book "Cadets: The Impact of War on the Cadet Movement", I understand that it covers the story of military cadets to the present, and there must be a chapter or two dealing with WWI. I wonder if I could find something there, too.

:huh:

Yes, there is a chapter on conscription, as well as one on the 1918 manpower crisis.

Alas, I have not come across the Collins book.

Charles M