Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gun sizes on merchant ships

historydavid

Early in the war some merchant ships used in the Northern Patrol were fitted with guns described as "12 pounders". I know that "pounders" existed in various sizes and presume the number related to weight of shell.

Does anyone have any info on what size these shells were, in inches or millimetrics?

Best wishes

David

David,

Yes, that would be the weight of the shell. If I'm not mistaken, that would be a 3 inch gun.

Best wishes,

Michael

David

From memory, a 2-pounder had a calibre of 40mm, a 6 pounder of 57mm, an 12 pdr of 3 inches as Michael says, and an 18-pounder of 3.7 inches. Remember the weight increases with the cube of the linear dimension, so as a shell, or anything else, gets larger a given increase in size will produce a progressively larger weight increase.

(I'm using the term calibre in its loose sense of shell [or barrel internal] diameter, though strictly it is the ratio of barrel length to diameter)

Adrian

The 12pdr/12cwt gun with a bore of 3" was introduced in the 1890s and remained in service until WW2 in various Marks. The projectile weighed 12.94lbs with separate ammunition. They should be distinguished from the 3"/20cwt gun which fired a 16/17lb projectile with fixed ammunition and began life in 1914.

For comparison, the Royal Horse Artillery entered the war with the 13 pounder as their main gun.