Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for the MIC experts

kinnethmont

Can anyone help decipher this MIC of an officer in the 1st Northants.

What is the significance of Disembarkation Returns and the date 13/8/1914 with Roll shows? Is this the day he landed in France?

Why was he only entitled to the clasp and not the 1914 Star as well?

post-352-1116023090.jpg

There has been much debate about whether the date on MICs represents the date of embarkation or disembarkation. Both are known to appear. However the disembarkation returns would indicate that this is indeed the date of landing in the theatre of war.

The fact that he was killed before 22-11-14 would indicate entitlement to the clasp. Whilst the classic 'Clasp and Roses' entry is missing there is the word 'clasp' after the 'BW & VM' notation which would imply that a clasp was indeed issued.

Regards

Steve

PS: Have read your question properly now! I see your point. Have you checked the online MICs to see if he has a second MIC, perhaps with a slightly different spelling of his name, which indicates the award of the star only?

Edited by SPotter

I think the answer is that he was awarded the star.

The BWM, VM and clasp are bracketed and have an issue voucher dated 24.8.21

However there ia nother medal roll referenced towards the top right of the card (off/54/4), which I suspect is the 14 star roll and there is also reference to another issue voucher dated 2.6.19.

So I thinkt the story is that the 14 star was sent out in 1919 and the other medals and the clasp in in 1921.

Jon

Thanks Steve & Jon

I did check the online MIC record but could find no other to suit. Gordon is a very common name. If anyone can check the Roll at Kew which John suspects is the award of the 1914 Star by itself I would appreciate that assistance.

Does anyone know what WS/3/394 and WS/5/887 means?

Does anyone know what WS/3/394 and WS/5/887 means?

The codes you quote are the actual Medal Roll Page Numbers that the index Cards refer to:

If you obtain those I think you will find that one roll refers to the 1914 Star & the other to the Pair{BWM/AVM}{with Clasp annotated on it}

The card is an early one the 1914 Star being referred to by "Action taken" etc,the Rubber Stamped panel [with the BWM/AVM/Star]would have been printed on later I suspect.