Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dyke O.P. (Observation Post ?)

Stuart Brown

This painting belongs to a friend. I was aware that the artist, Harold Gresley (16514 Sgt H Gresley 1Btn Royal Fusiliers) was awarded the DCM in the Great War : please see thread in soldiers regarding a request for any information on him by clicking here.

This request is for any information on "Dyke O.P."

The painting has the appearance of a war damaged building : the "steel" rods could be defensive articles although they do not appear to be silent pickets

If it was an Observation Post, has anyone seen any mention of this name in histories or diaries which could give clues as to the location.

Images attached.

Stuart

post-20-1116012666.jpg

The 18/RF spent some time in the La Bassee canal sector; I wonder if it is there? Of course, he could have been commissioned to paint this and therefore his own service would be irrelevant. Nice painting though - thanks for posting it.

Sorry - I mis-read your post. He was with the 1st Bn, not 18th. So that somewhat widens the scope as to where this could be - nevertheless, a nice painting!

looks like february 1918....does anyone know the location of 1st RF at this time? it should then be possible to find the Op, Peter.

Hello Peter,

Thank you.

If you are referring to the writing then it his signature H. Gresley. I should have mentioned that in the initial post.

Stuart

• 5 years later...

I entered into correspondence sometime ago with the gentleman who owned 'Dyke OP'. I'm afraid he was unwell, I was working away, and our correspondence got short-circuited. Sir, are you still there? I'd like to talk to you about the picture.

Sorry for the long silence,

Edited by popski
Security

Hello Peter,

Thank you.

If you are referring to the writing then it his signature H. Gresley. I should have mentioned that in the initial post.

Stuart

Presumably Harold Gresley DCM a Derbyshire artist who served with the Sherwood Foresters

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Dyke OP is referred to in the War Diaries of the 5th Canadian Divisional Artillery (February 21, 1918) and the 13th Brigade CFA of the same date.  It is described as having been badly damaged in a destructive shoot. I do not know exactly where it was located, but the 13th Brigade was on the Lens front.

Attn: Popski: Could I have permission to include this painting in percyswar.wordpress.com? It would appear on February 21, 2018.

• 3 years later...