Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

quiz time

bernardmcilwaine

;) during ww1 which regt had a womens coy,and they were not an attatched coy,bernard,ime off for a pint while you solve that one,if you want proof i can supply a full list.

;) during ww1 which regt had a womens coy,and they were not an attatched coy,bernard,ime off for a pint while you solve that one,if you want proof i can supply a full list.

nobody going to tackle this one,bernard

Thanks for the PM. I have a note here that says that the operations of the ***were not confined to home service,but extended to overseas operations in hospitals etc. where they had to encounter more dangers and risks than they would have had at home,especially in the latter days of the war when the bombing of hospitals by the enemy was so indiscriminate and frequent, and when many nurses and **** lost their lives and many seriously wounded. Regards Steve.

Thanks for the PM. I have a note here that says that the operations of the ***were not confined to home service,but extended to overseas operations in hospitals etc. where they had to encounter more dangers and risks than they would have had at home,especially in the latter days of the war when the bombing of hospitals by the enemy was so indiscriminate and frequent, and when many nurses and **** lost their lives and many seriously wounded. Regards Steve.

spot on steve,they served alongside the menfolk.

Is it the Army Service Corps?

ambulance drivers?

but I don't know what regiment

• 2 weeks later...

W.A.A.C's.

British regiment?

A collector from North Devon (Dick Brownson) once showed me a photocopy of a roll he had copied out of the National Archives. It had three names on it. A Lady "someone", her daughter and someone else. They formed their own little unit providing aid support to the troops. But for the life of me I cannot remember the woman's name. Am I anywhere near close?

Bernard,

I take it that i am complely off with the WAAC's then?

Mandy.

I am sure i have the answer somewhere, but for life of me i can't find it,

I must start putting all my papers in order!

Mandy

its not a corps or an attatched unit,it was part of the regt,where the regt served they did,ime not sure but i think some were killed,they formed a coy whithin the regt,bernard

Ok,

I was going to say Queen Mary's girls but that was a corps,

I give up,

will you please pm me with the answer?

Mandy.

will you please pm me with the answer?

Mandy.

Am I missing some major change in the Forum - is it still 'public' or has it turned into a secret society?

After 17 days I'm beginning to think that perhaps there isn't an answer at all.

Sue

Sue,

Bernard pm a clue earlier to Steve,

but we still don't now what the clue was,

come Bernard give us all the clue or put us out of our missery and give us the answer.

mandy

in 1914 a commitee was set up by the artist rifles to establish amedical unit within the regt,to care for the sick and wounded of the regt,this was passed and the unit became,the 104th coy,artist rifles,VAD,they served wherever the regt served,they were made up of family and friends of men serving with the regt,bernard.ps,its not a secret society,just a bit of fun,sorry

I enjoyed the fun Bernard,

Have you got another poser for us?

Mandy

hello mandy,is it safe to put another on,it seemed to get folks rooting through their books,but i seemed to have upset someone,bernard

Mars and Minerva indeed!