Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Sorrows of Quintinshill

spike10764

Arthuret Publishers- Printed in Wigton 2002 (unable to find ISBN)

I found this book on display in the local library, with a montage of clippings telling the story. I had seen a programme once, on the History Channel concerning the crash and being an event with local connections, though I would like to read it and find out more.

In the early hours of Saturday 22nd May 1915, one of the most tragic railway accidents in British Railway History, occcured at Quintinshill, near Gretna Green in the Scottish Borders. this was an event of great suffering and carnage, in a world torn apart by the suffering and carnage of The Great War.

The main victims were soldiers, young men of the 7th Battalion Royal Scots, on their way to Liverpool en route to the fighting in the Dardanelles. Half the Battalion were aboard this train- 486 officers and men and of these 217 were killed and over 200 wounded.

The fully laden troop train had hit, at speed, a local train the Parly, ( named after an act of Parliament that enforced the provision of local trains) which was parked on the wrong side of the lines, ( a practice permitted, but with stringent safety conditions that were in this case not followed) temporarily, but was forgotten about in the late shift change which had become practice at the localsignal box. The engine and front carriages of the troop train reared up off the tracks and lay across the northbound line. Minutes later, the Glasgow express train ploughed into these, also at speed, and as a result of this the wooden carriages of the troop train caught fire, which spread to large parts of the wrecked trains. The fierce blaze spread quickly killing many of those trapped in the wreckage. The isolated location of the crash, the speed of the fire's spread, the lack of a nearer water source and the slow response of the emergency services, made the casualty list higher than it might have been.

The two signalmen had allowed slack practices to creep into their work- Lever Collars had not been placed on the southbound signal that would have not allowed the signal to be switched to go until their removal (and would have made the signalman think before switching). The shift handover was delayed to allow the day man extra time in bed- to cover for this the train register book was not filled in until later and all trains at the time noted on a scrap of paper and handed to the incoming signalman, so he could fill in his start time as 6am. Both men were jailed due to gross negligence for their part in the ensuing crash.

The 7th Royal Scots who were victims of the crash were buried with full honours at Rosebank Cemetery Edinburgh, where a Memorial Cross was also erected. The shock of their deaths reverberated through the country, at a time when young mens deaths were a regular news item. For relatives, it was especially heart rending- one father saying-

"I could have borne it better if he had died out in France(sic), but to think he should have been killed this way fair breaks my heart"

The wounded spent long spells in local and national hospitals and some were never to recover from their injuries.

The book is a collection of recollections and experiences of people involved and locals who came to the rescue, as well as the outcome of the subsequent enquiry and court cases, with some truly moving photos of the events.

Gordon Routledge has produced another book, advertised within the cover called Gretna's Secret War, about this incident and the large munitions factory that was sited nearby later in the war. I shall have to keep an eye out for it.

Guest Galatea

There is no trace today of Quintinshill station or signalbox. All that remain are 2 goods loops one nothbound and one southbound. My train was signalled into the southbound (up) loop on Wednesday afternoon and held there for an hour or so to allow various passenger trains to pass.

It was a poignant occasion being so close to the 90th anniversary and the surrounding farms and fields look unchanged from the contemporary photographs. It proved somewhat difficult to imagine the carnage and the fields lined with casualties as they were filled with late lambs and new season cattle.

If anyone is passing through the area, on the B7076 which runs parallel to the M74 is the village of Kirkpatrick Fleming where the oncoming signalman joined the local 'Parly', in the village pub there is the signalbox panel and block instruments from Quintinshill 'box along with a display of old pictures and some local history. Good food and the beers OK too.

Davie.

Does anyone know if there is going to be any ceremony at Gretna to remember the 90th anniversary?

There was one for the 80th.

Guest Galatea
Does anyone know if there is going to be any ceremony at Gretna to remember the 90th anniversary?

There was one for the 80th.

There is no mention in the local press this week of any ceremony. I will ask the Minister at Gretna Old Church if he knows of any and post details. This picture is one of a few that were taken at the time, it is facing south and the up loop is visible. I will take a few pictures today of the area and put them up.

Davie.

quin22pw.jpg