Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Testament

Peter Beckett

I have my Grandfathers New Testament which was issued and I quote

" to Sapper Beckett, Rouen, Nov 1915 With every good wish Hugh Watt"

It is light brown in colour and is about 2" x 3" x 1/2" and in fair condition.

Does anyone know of this organisation? Would it have been part of a general spiritual ministering to the troops.

My grandfather's first overseas date to France was 30 Oct 1915 so was Rouen a holding area/training area?

and lastly has anyone heard of Hugh Watt. I am guessing he may have been a padre or clergy as there is a reference to John 15 V 14-17.

Peter

The League was founded in the USA in 1893 and it's London Office was opened in 1914. It is an International Organisation which is still in existence.

For a brief outline history see: http://www.readcarryshare.org/

Thanks for that, Heritage Plus

I had a look at the site and in 1914 at Salisbury Plains they distributed 400,000 testaments. The mind boggles :D

Peter under soldiers you will find a thread on Lewis Charlesworth that I started. His testament is one of these also and his was issued at Rouen also in 1915.

Thanks Paul,

picked up the thread. Makes you wonder how many were issued and how many are left today. Also makes you wonder how much solace the books gave. I went all through mine but could not find any pages that were marked or had notations in. I also inherited a small crucifix which is silver inlaid in a black material. There is a picture of one attached to a dog tag on the dust cover of "The Soldiers War 1914-1918" by Peter H Liddle . As my family have been Church of England (Anglican) for as long as I can research, it seems a bit odd unless they were "High Church". More of lifes interesting riddles :(