Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex in India

Guest robert in Brisbane

Guest robert in Brisbane

Hi,

I have over this past year discovered that my great grandfather was in the 1/10th battalion of the Middlesex Regiment who were sent to India.

Unfortunately his service record did not survive WW2 but what I do know is he was invalided home sick and received a small pension after the war.

The only snippet found about the batalion's activities on the net so far was that they won the Calcutta cup (cricket) in 1916!

Are there any available diaries or texts that may have any information on them and their activities.

I have been advised that the 2 volume set "The Die-hards of the Great War" by Everard Wyrall may contain something within it but there doesn't seem to be any copies in the Libraries down in my part of the World.

Any assistance would be apreciated,

cheers

Bob

I have been advised that the 2 volume set "The Die-hards of the Great War" by Everard Wyrall may contain something within it but there doesn't seem to be any copies in the Libraries down in my part of the World.

Hello Bob

"The Die-hards of the Great War" mentions the 1/10th but not all that much. To be specific, 6 page references in the index.

You can get a reprint from the N&M Press.

Howard

• 2 years later...
Hi,

I have over this past year discovered that my great grandfather was in the 1/10th battalion of the Middlesex Regiment who were sent to India.

Unfortunately his service record did not survive WW2 but what I do know is he was invalided home sick and received a small pension after the war.

The only snippet found about the batalion's activities on the net so far was that they won the Calcutta cup (cricket) in 1916!

Are there any available diaries or texts that may have any information on them and their activities.

cheers

Bob

Hi

My father, yes father, served with 1/10 Middlesex. They were formed at Ravenscourt Park, Chiswick London in August 1914 and on 30th October 1914 sailed on the "Royal George" arriving at Bombay on 2nd December 1914. They were in Calcutta in May 1915.

That's all I know so far. I have a lot Da's photo's and should be pleased to hear from you.

Bod

• 9 months later...
Hi,

cheers

Bob

My grandfather, Henry Saunders, also served in the 1/10th. Have you been able to find out any more about the battalion's time in India?

Tony

• 1 year later...

My father was with 1/10th Middlesex. He went to india end of 1916 returned to UK Nov 1919. He hept a diary of the journey from Tunbridge Wells to the Himalayas with some detail of his time in India. Please contact me if interested.

John Pruden

• 11 months later...

re john.pruden' timestamp='1250343876' post='1244854'

Hi My Grandfather W.J.Seymour was in "B" Company of the 1/10 Middlesex Battalion, “B” Coy was formed from the St Marks College's, Chelsea. (Teacher Training) Territorial Army Corps.

I have managed to obtain copies of the entries of the college year book which give details of events. He would have served in india from the 4th Dec 1914 at Dalhousie Barracks in Fort William Culcutta (Kolkata) till the 1/10 return to the UK at the end of WW1. I have still to find out when and what troop ship they returned to the UK. any Photos of Fort William and outlying station/postings be welcome Thanks A.C.Sey

• 1 month later...

My father was with 1/10th Middlesex. He went to india end of 1916 returned to UK Nov 1919. He hept a diary of the journey from Tunbridge Wells to the Himalayas with some detail of his time in India. Please contact me if interested.

John Pruden

Thanks. I would be very interested to learn more. My grandfather named his house 'Kailana' so he must have been stationed there at some time.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my grandfather Edward Dixon Burns legg was in the 10th middlesex - private and then 2nd lieu. I was interested to see about the teacher training college as he was a trainee teacher when enrolling so will have to find out from my aunt whether it was the same college- but seems likely...

Diddy

Hi again - I have a photo of him at St Johns college, Battersea which later amalgamated with St marks.:

'The present-day University College has a long and interesting history; it was originally two separate Colleges which were situated in London - St.John's College in Battersea and St.Mark's College in Chelsea.'

so maybe 'B' compant was formed from both colleges.

Diddy

• 1 year later...

QUOTE (robert in Brisbane @ May 12 2005, 07:06 PM)I have been advised that the 2 volume set "The Die-hards of the Great War" by Everard Wyrall may contain something within it but there doesn't seem to be any copies in the Libraries down in my part of the World.

Hello Bob

"The Die-hards of the Great War" mentions the 1/10th but not all that much. To be specific, 6 page references in the index.

You can get a reprint from the N&M Press.

Howard

Hello Bob and Robert,

I bought my copy - they do come in a pair - from Amazon which was quick and easy - AND you can buy used or second hand if you want which are cheaper.

I am also looking for stuff about the 1/10 Battalion. My husband's grandfather CECIL ERIC IRVING was with them till 1917 in Fort William and then left to join the 3/152 Punjabis as a 2nd Lt on a temporary commission. I was only able to get the fact he got the commission from the India Office but they are very helpfull if you E Mail them.

Happy hunting

Maggia

Hi

My father, yes father, served with 1/10 Middlesex. They were formed at Ravenscourt Park, Chiswick London in August 1914 and on 30th October 1914 sailed on the "Royal George" arriving at Bombay on 2nd December 1914. They were in Calcutta in May 1915.

That's all I know so far. I have a lot Da's photo's and should be pleased to hear from you.

Bod

Hi there,

My husband's grandfather joined at Stamford Brook Lodge, Chiswick, but I don't know which Company he was in. He did leave an account of his first 2 years but sadly that did stop at the end of 1916. He was also a teacher before the war, this Battalion did seem to attract teachers!

As this information is new and I am a third year undergrad - senior, I must add - I am using it for my dissertation but will be happy to share info from this once I have graduated. at the end of this year.

Maggia

• 8 months later...

I've just had "The Die-hards of the Great War" by Everard Wyrall on inter-library loan from the British Library. There is barely a mention of the 1/10th Middlesex

Andrewr

• 2 weeks later...

The FIBIS Fibiwiki page “57th Regiment of Foot” has some information about the 1/9th and 1/10th Battalions in India during the First World War.

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=57th_Regiment_of_Foot

From the Fibiwiki page, there are some photographs available on Flickr.com in respect of the 1/9th Battalion, labelled “David Prebble’s Photostream”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58031268@N03

Some photographs are labelled specifically “1/9th Battalion” but it is likely all the photographs refer to this Battalion.

Photographs in respect of both the 1/9th Battalion and the 1/10th Battalion may be found at the National Army Museum, London, in addition to a diary for the 1/10th Battalion by Pte William Henry Fox

Cheers

Maureen