Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miners Memorial in Ovillers

Simon Jones

I have come across a reference in the Holts guide to the Somme that at one time there was a memorial to miners in Ovillers. I am writing a book on 179th Tunnelling Company at La Boisselle and so I would be very interested if anyone knows anything about this.

Many thanks

Simon

New one on me - which version of their guide was it in; an early one?

One would ask why it would be in Ovillers; considering both the mines went off in or near La Boisselle?!

New one on me - which version of their guide was it in; an early one?

One would ask why it would be in Ovillers; considering both the mines went off in or near La Boisselle?!

Absolutely! It is in the 2003 revised edition. I have accounts by two 179 Tunnelling Company officers of returning to the battlefields and neither mention it. Is there anything in the Michelin guide?

Regards

Simon

No - I wonder where they got it from? Mind you their first edition (and later?) Somme map showed White trench near Mametz and Munich Trench near B-H as "preserved trenches", so perhaps it just an error? They have a website; you could drop them a line?

Just a thought - if there was a memorial, then it could have been in or near Ovillers Military Cemetery, and long removed/forgotten. Cemeteries were focal points, often the only "settled" and accessible plots of land in a district, immediately post-war. This could explain why it was in Ovillers rather than in or around La Boisselle. (I haven't heard of this memorial either.)

Tom

Thanks all, I'll drop them a line & let you know.

Simon

• 1 month later...
Thanks all, I'll drop them a line & let you know.

Simon

I had a reply from the Holts but they say they don't know now where they got the info from.

Simon