Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt H.B.Davey South Wales Borderers

PhilB

An ebay item mentions Lt Hubert Burgoyne Davey as being commissioned mid 1915 & issued with a SWB as Lt S Wales Borderers before dying 5/12/18. It says he appears not to have been entitled to any medals. Can anyone shed any light on him? Phil B

It would be worth trying some Worcester Newspaper research as his father Harry Davey was the local newspaper editor and his eldest brother a journalist in Worcester (later Worcester newspaper editor). Interestingly another of Hubert's brothers Charles Leonard, died 17th October 1918 while with the 18th Bn. MGC.

Myrtle

Thanks, Myrtle. Unfortunately, the item has only 3 days to go on ebay! Do you know anything about his service? The only H.B.Davey I could find was commissioned Aug 14 into the S Staffs. Regards, Phil B

I can not help on Hubert's service but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the 3rd (Reserve Bn.) SWB as they didn't leave Britain and therefore didn't receive medals. Another option would be the 1st/1st Brecknocks, SWB who were in India (including my great uncle.)

Still think it's worth trying a phone call to Worcester library in the morning or SWB museum in Brecon. I have always found them very helpful.

Myrtle

I've just checked the Unit History for the South Wales Borderers and he is not mentioned in either the 'Roll of Honour' or the 'Index of Persons' but is said to be with them by the CWGC register. Strange.

Roy