Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A New CWGC Memorial for Canadians

Terry Denham

CWGC have recently built a new official memorial in Canada known as the Québec Memorial. It can be found located in Lakeview Cemetery, Québec.

The purpose of this memorial is to record the names of the men from both world wars who have graves in the province of Québec but which are no longer maintainable for a variety of reasons. Most of these men were previously commemorated by Special Memorials in various cemeteries around the province but this new structure brings them all together.

So far the Memorial bears the names of ten WW1 casualties and five WW2 men.

The usual reason for Special Memorials in the home countries are graves being 'lost' in terms of their location within a cemetery or the cemetery owner wishing to remove headstones to convert a cemetery into a park etc. They can also be used where a cemetery has been cleared for redevelopment.

I don't know which applies here but it looks like an attempt to consolidate these SMs into one manageable focal point for the commemoration of these men.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, Lakeview Cemetary is located in Pointe Claire, Quebec, a western suburb of Montreal. I'll make an effort to photograph it the next time I'm up that way.

marc