Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Battlefield tours

swizz

I should be going to Ypres towards the end of June. I've been there before but this time I'm going with someone who has never been to the battlefields at all. As neither of us will be driving, I was thinking that the best way for her to see the main sites of commemoration - Tyne Cot, Irish Peace Park etc - would be to take a minibus tour or something similar. Can anyone recommend any good tours leaving from Ypres itself? I've looked around on the internet but its so hard to tell what's good and what's not. Any suggestions very much appreciated!

Swizz

I am sure that there are lots of very good tours from Ypres but I would be tempted to use Iain McHenry. He is a member of this forum, is very knowledgeable and one of the most enthusiastic people I have met. He can be contacted using the forum PM or Email facility.

Andy

Swizz,

I endorse Andy's response without hesitation. Iain has a gifted way of working in the technical mumbo jumbo in a plain English and engaging way that is much more enlivening than some of the dry academic-military guides I have experienced. His local knowledge is encyclopaedic, especially of the less touristic and therefore more interesting quieter conrers off the beaten track in the Ypres Salient.

Kerry

There are two tour companies as well as Iain (he will take you where ever you wish to go) which are very good.

Flanders Battlefield Tours - which leave from the Market Square at 11.00 am for the 2.5hr trip costing 20.00 euro p/p

and at 2.00pm for the 4hr tour costing 25.00 euro

They also do a Messines Tour which is also 4hrs long. 25.00 euro and is excellant.

0032 (057) 360 460 www.ypres-fbt.be

or

Tours from the British Grenedier Bookshop on the Menninstraat.

Salient Tours

Which do a 4hr tour (25.00 euro p/p) in the morning from 10.00a.m and a 2.5hr tour (20.00 euro p/p) in the afternoon from 2.30

0032 (057) 21 46 57

Hope this helps

Liz

Thanks to all three of you for your quick responses - we're still in the process of planning but this info is really helpful!

Swizz