Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PLEAS HELP

Guest TRACEY123

Guest TRACEY123

I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT SOME INFORMATION ON TWO REGIMENTS THAT MY GREAT, GREAT UNCLE SERVED WITH.

HE DIED IN OCTOBER 1918 AND IS BURIED IN BERLIN SOUTH-WESTERN CEMETARY.

ACCORDING TO THE CWGC HE WAS SERVING WITH 5TH BATTALION, ALEXANDRA, PRINCESS OF WALES'S OWN (YOPRKSHIRE REGIMENT) BUT FORMERLY SERVED WITH 12TH YEO.CYCL.BATTN.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME HELP.

THANK YOU

Tracey: if you have his name, and, having checked CWGC, a regimental number as well, you might find some more details (or just confirm what you have) at the WWI Medal card database at the National Archives:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ACCORDING TO THE CWGC HE WAS SERVING WITH 5TH BATTALION, ALEXANDRA, PRINCESS OF WALES'S OWN (YOPRKSHIRE REGIMENT)

It must be the 1/5th Battalion (the 2/5th not having left the UK). They were based at Scarborough by the beginning of the war they went to France on May 1915 and formed part of the 150th Brigade, 50th Division. The Battalion was reduced to cadre in july 1918, and then became part of the 116th Bde., 39th Div.

Some Yeomanry battalions converted from cavalry to cyclist units. I don't know which one might be the one you mention.

Hope it helps,

Gloria

CHARLES ROBERT JAMES (35758) YORKSHIRE REGIMENT

Have you downloaded his Medal Index Card (MIC) card yet?

LINK TO MIC CARD ENTRY

The link leads to the download page (this is not the actual MIC).

The actual MIC will cost £3.50 to download. (It comes in a PDF file as group of 6 with surrounding names)

The MIC will tell you:

His Medal entitlements (often two overseas service medals, the Victory & British War Medals)

If he went overseas before 1-1-1916 he would have been entitled to the 1914 Star (if he went to France before 22-11-14) or the 1914-15 Star (any theatre of war before 31-12-15) There will also be a date and Theatre of War mentioned if he was entitled to these.

EDIT : Since he was only 19 when he died, I would think he may not have been entitled to either Star (unless he joined underage)

If he went after 1-1-16, there would be no extra entitlement to either of the two Star medals, nor will a date be given.

The MIC will often also mention if he was a Prisoner of War (but the date is rarely mentioned)

Also, any entitlement to gallantry medals may be mentioned.

I hope this helps,

Steve.

Second line Yeomanry Regiments converted to Cyclist in July 1916 into Cyclist Divisions. In November 1916 the Cyclist Divisions were broken up and the Cyclist Brigades became independant. By summer of 1918 there were 12 Cyclist Brigades, 3 in Kent (5th, 11th and 12th) 1 in East Anglia (1st) and the rest in Ireland. Your man must have served in the Yeomanry Divisions and then transferred to the 5th Yorkshires to get to France.

Aye

Malcolm

I think that there is a fair chance your relative was taken prisoner on the Chemin des Dames on or aorund 27th May 1918; the 5th Yorkshres were part of 50th (Northumbrian) Division and the whole division suffered very heavily in the fighting there. Of course they were also in operation in March - April 1918, and he could have been taken POW there, but there is always that chance.

The 5/Yorks were in the front line when the battle broke, just north of Craonne.

Green Howards in the Great War calls this a "totally unexpected German attack" with the total of missing running into hundreds.

Bob.