Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Aristocracy and The Great War

stiletto_33853

Just received this yesterday, initial impressions is that it is well researched and imformative.

Lists the families and who served, details includes photographs in a lot of instances and gives details of some of those bodies who were repatriated such as Norman de Crespigny whos father the, 4th Baron, had the body exhumed and returned to England.

Andy

I should add that the book contains photographs of the houses, many of which allowed wings of the houses to be used as military hospitals during the war and is divided by county boundries.

Andy

Andy - Any mention of Adairs of Ballymena Castle? I remember responding to a post about this a fair while back. Is the author a forumite!!? Congratulations would seem to be in order if he is ....

Des

Des,

the Northern Ireland entries are as follows

Ballywalter Park - Mullholland Family - Lord Dunleath

Bangor Castle - Bingham Family - Baron Clanmorris

Barons Court - Hamilton Family - Lord Hamilton

Clandeboye - Hamilton, Temple, Blackwood Family - Marquess of Dufferin and Ava

Crom Castle - Crichton Family - Earl of Erne

Mount Stewart - Vane, Temoest, Stewart Family - Marquess of Londonderry

Northland House - Knox Family - Earl of Ranfurly

Shanes Castle - O'Neill Family - Baron O'Neill

Stuart Hall - Stuart Family - Earl of Castle Stuart

No mention of Ballymena for some reason

Andy

Tom,

Very good point, this books ISBN number is 0947893-35-0 and is published by Gliddon Books.

Andy

MR. Allan Shafto Adair, only son of R.Shafto Adair Bart. Ballymena Castle and Lower Berkeley Street, Portman Square, London, has been given a commission in the Grenadier Guards. (Later to become Major General Sir Allan Adair, last of that line, who was a commander of the Guards Armoured Division in World War 2)

Ballymena Observer, April 21, 1916

There`s a similar book IIRC about the Public Schools and the Great War. On reading them I`m usually left with a faint impression that the authors feel that the upper classes would be expected to suffer more because they were more sensitive than the lower classes. This despite the fact that the lower classes, being no less sensitive and deprived of a husband/father and breadwinner, could face years of hardship and penury on top of the pain of bereavement. Could someone disabuse me? :( Phil B

Des,

OK on the inside cover the author states "Owing to the restrictions of space it has not been possible to write about every single family in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but nevertheless more than 600 families have been covered out of a possible 680 and the English Counties are virtually complete. Only a selection from Ireland and Scotland have been possible." :huh:

• 4 months later...

Bringing this to the top as I am awaiting delivery - Naval and Military are knocking it out for about £13 (£16.50 including p&p), in case anyone - like me - fancied it but couldn't persuade the Chancellor to part with £30.

A very interesting book, my only slight moans relate the index which is by "Family Seats and other place names" rather than by surname/title and it is then organised by country/shire with Scotland, Northern and Southern Ireland and North and South Wales at the end, so if you know someone's name, but dont know where they lived you've got a bit of a search!

Moriaty

Do you know not one of those nurses knew why that name was famous and not one knew who A,C, Doyle was either, they were between 25 and 35--jesus did i feel old and stupid.

You old, them stupid?

Sadly, you will see that I havent quite made it as a Professor yet!

I'm a big Conan Doyle fan, particularly some of the short stories like "The Speckled Band"

Corporal Moriaty

Sadly, you will see that I havent quite made it as a Professor yet!

I'm a big Conan Doyle fan, particularly some of the short stories like "The Speckled Band"

Corporal Moriaty

I knew about him through all the old B/W Sherlock films with Basil Rathbone and the character gestarde the bumbling Scotland Yard detective was priceless. :)

A very interesting book, my only slight moans relate the index which is by "Family Seats and other place names" rather than by surname/title and it is then organised by country/shire with Scotland, Northern and Southern Ireland and North and South Wales at the end, so if you know someone's name, but dont know where they lived you've got a bit of a search!

Moriaty

Yes - my copy arrived on Wednesday and I've been browsing. very interesting, but I've been trying to find a family my wife's uncle was valet to, and blowed if I can. Short of leafing through every page it's going to be a tough call :( .

Overall, though, I'm impressed, and the snippets of information it contains are first-rate, so all in all a good buy (especially for under half price ;) )