Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

manchester pal,killed twice.

bernardmcilwaine

<_< L/cpl harry,george wood,16th batt manchester regt 12699,kia 31-7-17

L/cpl harry,george wood 19th batt manchester regt 12699,kia 31-7-17

born drambury new york,lived stockport,cheshire

manchester regt 16th-19th batts book,listed as killed with the 16th and 19th batts

listed in sdgw as killed with 16th and 19th batts,listed with cwgc as killed with 19th batt,john,kroonaert where are you,i need help with this one,i think our regt has been cloning soldiers or its just one of those simply explainable cases,where he was killed with the 16th batt and then they stretchered him over to the 19th and got him killed again???

Bernard

Possibly you only resolve this by downloading his Medal Index Card. Other than that, I don't have an answer. However, the most likely answer to all questions is the most common answer and, in this case, simple error would be the most common.

I can't see him in the City Battalion' Book of Honour, although his service number confirms him as an original "Pal" - so presumably a late joiner (after the piccies were taken).

A bit of number crunching with Soldiers Died suggests that the 126** series of numbers are 19th Battalion ( a smaller number are 17th Bn, probably from the batch transferred in 1918).

He would not suddenly appear on another Battalion's casualty list simply because he had been stretchered to them for treatment. That happened all the time, of course.

Harry is commemorated on the Heaton Moor and Stockport War Memorials. There were no press reports of his death.

John

Bernard

Possibly you only resolve this by downloading his Medal Index Card. Other than that, I don't have an answer. However, the most likely answer to all questions is the most common answer and, in this case, simple error would be the most common.

I can't see him in the City Battalion' Book of Honour, although his service number confirms him as an original "Pal" - so presumably a late joiner (after the piccies were taken).

A bit of number crunching with Soldiers Died suggests that the 126** series of numbers are 19th Battalion ( a smaller number are 17th Bn, probably from the batch transferred in 1918).

He would not suddenly appear on another Battalion's casualty list simply because he had been stretchered to them for treatment. That happened all the time, of course.

Harry is commemorated on the Heaton Moor and Stockport War Memorials. There were no press reports of his death.

John

john the last bit about the stretcher was just me being daft,i saw an answer that you gave to someone making a enquiry in march last year it concerned four manregt soldiers that had No that should have placed them in pals batts but they could not be found,harry seems to fit in with these,i wonder if there was a sub depot of soldiers in the pals,those that could be sent to any batt in times of dire crisis,ime stumped john

Bernard

I never seen anything to suggest that there was some form of "emergency supply", perhaps held in reserve. It simply wasnt how it was done.

When we've discussed the Book of Honour photos before, I think the census has been that the photos have been taken in different places - some in Heaton Park, some after the move to Grantham. Certainly men continued to join until quite late and, definately, after the move to Grantham. I think that is the simple reason for why some don't appear in the Book.

I suspect you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket to pay the £3.50 to download the MIC. Or is there anything on the Medal Rolls you have copies of.

John

Bernard

I never seen anything to suggest that there was some form of "emergency supply", perhaps held in reserve. It simply wasnt how it was done.

When we've discussed the Book of Honour photos before, I think the census has been that the photos have been taken in different places - some in Heaton Park, some after the move to Grantham. Certainly men continued to join until quite late and, definately, after the move to Grantham. I think that is the simple reason for why some don't appear in the Book.

I suspect you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket to pay the £3.50 to download the MIC. Or is there anything on the Medal Rolls you have copies of.

John

hes not listed john,i knew that you had covered the area that he lived in,because i have used your memorial sites in the past,thats why i gave you a shout and your a fellow manc regt,i think its exactly what you say,hes wrongly listed,pity though,it would have been interesting to see who had claim to him,bernard