Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Squadron markings

alex_a

Hello Guys

I recently aquired a photograph of an RFC pilot standing next to his aeroplane, I believe (this might be inaccurate, not too much of the machine is visible and my knowledge is limited) it to be either a Sopwith Pup or Camel. Along the fuselage, painted in white is an almost zig-zag line, in obtruse angles.

Is anyone able to tell me what squadron this might have come from? I would like to post a photograph but I have no web space so I could email a scan of it and maybe someone could post it for me.

If it helps, the photo came from Canada, so it could have been taken there, or the pilot may have been a Canadian.

Thanks

Alex. :D

Alex

No 70 Sqn RFC flew Camels marked with a white zig-zag aft of the fuselage roundel from 26 August 1917 to 22 March 1918, when the zig-zag was replaced by three vertical white bands.

The intial Camel marking is seen in the photo below of B7320 after an encounter with anti-aircraft fire on 24 February 1918 while being flown by 2Lt J Todd. Does it look like the machine in your photo?

Regards

Gareth

post-45-1115848423.jpg

Alex,

Concur with Gareth, if the machine is a Camel and if the marking is like an itallic "N" between the fuselage cockade and the stabiliser, it would have been 70 Squadron RFC.

There were several RNAS aircraft that had a zigzag or "lightning" marking that ran for a considerable length of the fuselage - these were "personal" markings and did not denote a squadron. We really need to see the shot.

I can post the shot if you want to email me a scan.

Mike

Alex's photograph should be attached to this post.

It is a Camel, but carrying a personal marking, not a squadron marking. It is in fact Captain WJ MacKenzie's Camel from No.213 Squadron RAF. 213 Squadron RAF started life in 1917 as the Seaplane Defence Flight based at Dunkerque. The squadron became the Seaplane Defence Squadron and then No.13 Squadron RNAS. Finally, on the 1st April 1918, the name changed again to 213 Squadron RAF.

post-1261-1115932077.jpg

Thanks Mike

As I said in my email I said that I would have to find out more about 213 squadron but I now have no need.

Regards

Alex. :D

• 1 year later...