Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Witte Poort farm bunker

stephen binks

I came across this on a recent walk and was suprised to find no mention of it in the guide books. Any ideas?

Regards

Steve

Can anybody identify this bunker as either British or German?

It was too concealed to see where the entrance was, but looking at its position, I would suggest that it was behind the 31st July British line and therefore British?

Any thoughts?

Steve

The "bunker" is at the back of the farm buildings and not easy to photograph. So I did'nt bother; thinking I would find information on the bunker when I returned home.

Witte Poort farm is on the left of the Menin Road opposite Bir x cemetery. The road that leads down to the farm is Cambridge road.

Steve

Peter Oldham's excellent Pillboxes on the Western Front contains a gazeteer to most of the remaining structures in France and Belgium. I'll have a look this evening and see if Witte Poort Farm is mentioned.

Cheers,

Mat

Thanks Matt,

You probably guess I have'nt got that in my collection.

Steve

I'm not doing very well, Steve. Witte Poort Farm is not in Oldham's book, although I can clearly see its location on trench maps. Maybe one of the Ieper pals can make enquiries locally.

If I dig anything up I will let you know.

Mat

Witte Poort Farm is not in Oldham's book,

Nor, unfortunately, is it mentioned in The Pill-Boxes of Flanders by Col.E.G.L.Thurlow DSO (1933).

Dave.

. Maybe one of the Ieper pals can make enquiries locally.

Mat

Stephen,

One of my acquaintances is about to finish an inventory of all war relics in the area (and elsewhere), and I'm sure (hope ?) that Witte Poort Farm bunker must be in it. I have just sent an email asking what information she has on this item, and I will let you know as soon as she has replied. (Which will be after the weekend.)

Aurel

Thank you Aurel. I am in Ypres next week and scheduled to walk Bellewaarde, so I may chance my arm and ask the present owners if I can take a photograph of the bunker...watch this space.

Steve

Steve,

Sorry, no real information in the bunker from the lady who is making the inventory (and about to finish it). She said that the bunker was not reported to her until very recently, and that she hopes she can still include it in the inventory.

She has no picture yet, and all she knew is that it appears to be a British construction, and that it was made by means of elephant sheets.

Aurel

Aurel,

Thank you for your reply. Looking at its position, it looks to be infront of the GHQ line? I suspected it was British, but only from its location.

Steve

not getting very far between us, are we? I must have been past the farm a number of times, and not noticed it...am I confusing it with Cork Cottage?

Anyway, from the location of the farm, it must be British...it was in German hands for a while in late summer '18, but the Germans were not constructing such shelters then. It would be nice to see a photo...anyone have one?

Peter.

It would be nice to see a photo...anyone have one?

Peter.

Peter,

No, I don't have one. But I'll ask the inventory making lady if she should you go there to complete her inventory, to take one.

But maybe Steve will have taken one by then.

Aurel