Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Camel Corps Casualties

domsim

Hi folks

Does anybody have any information on the companies involved in the attack on Mudawarra station by the Imperial Camel Corps on 8 August 1918? I think I remember seeing a photograph of a grave there, in the Imperial War Museum collection.

Were there many casualties?

Thanks

Dominic

There are only three Imperial Camel Corps casualties listed by CWGC for 08.08.18 - all listed on the Jerusalem Memorial.

Pte J.Cockburn

L/Cpl R.Neillands

Pte H.B.Fraser

Terry

Thank you for the prompt reply. If these men were killed at Mudawarra, am I right in thinking that the fact that they are listed on the memorial at Jerusalem rather than having having plot (grave) numbers, indicates that they were probably never re-interred after the war?

Thanks

Dominic

It means that their bodies were not found when it came to concentrating scattered burials after the war - either because they had been destroyed or their location was lost. It is also possible that there was nothing to bury!

It means that their bodies were not found when it came to concentrating scattered burials after the war - either because they had been destroyed or their location was lost. It is also possible that there was nothing to bury!

Mate,

The unit roll lists to following casulties at Muduwarra.

KIA

2/Lt JA Jones 10Co

L/Cpl L.Niellands 7Co

Pte H Frazer 7Co

Pte J Cockburn 7Co

Cpl J Freeman DCM 10Co (DOW's)

WIA

Capt JA Lyall MC 10Co

2/Lt J Archibald DCM 7Co

Sgt J Houston 7Co

Pte H Thompson 7Co

Pte H Buchanan 7Co

Pte H Dick 7Co

Pte M Rolands 7Co

Sgt S Hobbins DCM 10Co

Cpl J Freeman DCM later DoW as above

Pte Jim Hand 10Co

Pte J (Paddy) Ennis 10Co

The details are there also if you need them

The 2nd Camel Bn that went to help Lawrence had only the two British Companies with it.

I shown also mention that Lt H Rowan 7Co was killed during the move to the battle by an arab. A point not lost on the British soldiers in which they were helping.

Not unlike the Iraq problem now or Bosnia when I was there a few years ago.

S.B

KIA

2/Lt JA Jones 10Co

L/Cpl L.Niellands 7Co

Pte H Frazer 7Co

Pte J Cockburn 7Co

Cpl J Freeman DCM 10Co (DOW's)

I can see why the first search did not reveal 2/Lt Jones and Cpl Freeman as ICC deaths on 08.08.18.

Cpl Freeman, as stated, died later on 14.08.18 of wounds and 2/Lt J.A.Jones is recorded by CWGC as 2/Lt John William Jones of King's Shropshire Light Infantry (attd Imperial Camel Corps). Died 08.08.18

• 3 weeks later...

Terry and Steve

I have been away for a while and have just caught up with your replies, thank you very much for the very useful information.

Cheers

Dominic :D