Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Hamilton (174th Siege Battery RGA)

grahamcaine

Hi. I was wondering if anybody could shed light on my great-grandfathers story during the Great War. Firstly, could anyone tell me the origins of 174th Siege Battery RGA. Robert Hamilton was born and bred in Glasgow so I am assuming he enlisted there. Secondly, did he volunteer or was he conscripted? I understand he went to France in 1916 which was the year when married men were conscripted. My grandfather recalls that he volunteered at the age of 16, but as he was born in 1896 I think his memory is failing him! I have the regimental war diary for the battery but this is only recorded from 1916-1917. Does anyone know the reason why the war diary was not continued? Or does anyone know of the batterys later movements which are not covered by the War Diary? I have found a comrade of my great grandfathers on the CWGC website whose date of death is recorded as 1918, after the period covered by the war diary. I have posted the only wartime picture of my great-grandfather also (seated). Any help gratefully received! Many thanks, Graham.

Name: BOYLE, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 174th Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 30/01/1918

Service No: 73089

Additional information: Husband of Margaret J. Boyle, of 8, Hope St., Portobello, Edinburgh.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 2.

Cemetery: ST. JULIEN DRESSING STATION CEMETERY

post-5222-1115812052.jpg

Graham, not sure that this will be much help but may give you a couple of pointers.

It is not uncommon for Siege Battery and Heavy Battery War diaries to be only available for limited periods, which is quite frustrating. However, each of these batteries would have "belonged " to a higher RGA Brigade and usually the war diary for the brigade would b available. the problem is that the batteries tended to move around - 174 SB belonged to 79th Brigade RGA which was part of 4th Army at the wars end. However, it may have been part of several different brigades at different times - you may get more information on this question if you posta question under "Units & Formations" as there are people out there with this detail.

Have you tried surching for your grandfathers medal index card or papers at the PRO - this would give you some of the information you are looking for. If you knew the date of his arrival in France this would give a good idea of whether he was conscripted or volunteered. Conscripts didn't really start arriving until late 1916.

Graham, not sure that this will be much help but may give you a couple of pointers.

It is not uncommon for Siege Battery and Heavy Battery War diaries to be only available for limited periods, which is quite frustrating. However, each of these batteries would have "belonged " to a higher RGA Brigade and usually the war diary for the brigade would b available. the problem is that the batteries tended to move around - 174 SB belonged to 79th Brigade RGA which was part of 4th Army at the wars end. However, it may have been part of several different brigades at different times - you may get more information on this question if you posta  question under "Units & Formations" as there are people out there with this detail.

Have you tried surching for your grandfathers medal index card or papers at the PRO - this would give you some of the information you are looking for. If you knew the date of his arrival in France this would give a good idea of whether he was conscripted or volunteered. Conscripts didn't really start arriving until late 1916.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I do have my great-grandfathers MIC (below) which I posted in the MIC section though I'm still unclear as to whether he volunteered or was conscripted. He arrived in France in late-1916 which makes me think he was conscripted. What does anyone else think?

post-5222-1116335997.png