Remembered Today:

The King's - Liverpool Rgt - uniform

marc glorieux

Hi,

I am in posession of a photogaph of

private Freddy Cade.

1st/9th bn The King’s – Liverpool Regiment

servicenumber: 49704

Killed in action: 22.09.1917 during the battle of Menin Road (3th battle of Ypres) in the zone of Frezenberg (spot between Iberian Farm - Bank Farm - Square Farm and Borry Farm. ( I have the right coördinates from the CWGC)

Burried : Tyne Cot Cemetery Passendale

He was previously a member of the West Riding Regiment (16926)

The badge on the cap confirms the Liverpool Regiment.

On the attached photograph, it is surprising that Freddy Cade wears short trousers as uniform with bandages (putties) on his legs.

Is there someone who can tell me of the short was an usual uniform. And what about this “putties” and his function (only parade or functional protection)

The curator of the Kings Liverpool Regimental Museum finds it also strange that any soldier wore shorts (especially in England), so that is presumed that the picture can maybee been taken somewhere in France or Belgium

thanks for the reactions

greeting from flanders

Marc

PS photgraph is following seperately

Marc,

Thanks for posting the pic of Freddy Cade.

I have seen quite a few photographs of soldiers on the Somme in 1916 wearing shorts. I believe they were actually cut down from uniform trousers by the men themselves, but I have no evidence to hand of that.

What is your interest in Freddy Cade? Do you know anything else about him that I can add to my database of men of the 9th King's Liverpool Regt?

Regards,

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

Very strange, the self made shorts …. Maybe a very hot summer on the Somme 1916?

I am in contact with Jim (area Yorkshire) , the grandson of Freddy Cade and will (with the Friends of Flanders Fields Museum - Ypres ) organise an individual remembrance by his grave on September 22 at Tyne Cot Cemetery – Passendale.

So I am gathering with Jim for information about Freddy Cade and his Battalion

I received some “military information” about the 1/9 King’s (Liverpool Rgt) . But I have still a lot of questions.

About the ” individual Freddy Cade information” self, his son (Jim’s father) was 3 years old at his death and didn’t remember his father, and the grandmother seldom spoke of him; and that is another difficult part.

So the research for information is going on ….

Regards

Marc

Marc,

I would be happy to try to answer any questions you have about the 9th King's.

Also, please feel free to give my contact details to Jim and I'll help out where I can.

Regards,

Ken

post-927-1116405325.jpg

Ken,

thanks; the pic is a real surprise. waw, you have been there.

I sent PM also the coordinates of jim and mines.

marc

Did the local Liverpool newspaper publish obituaries during 1917 about the soldiers belonging to the King’s Liverpool regiment?

If so where are the newspapers archives kept and when can they be inspected?

My Grandfather lived in Leeds; I live in Bradford, West Yorks.

Thank you in anticipation

Jim Cade

Jim

Microfiche copies of the "Liverpool Echo" are held at the main museum in William Brown Street, Liverpool and are available for public viewing.

SN