Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Book: "Birdsong". Any one know this one?

David_Bluestein

Could any Pals offer their thoughts on the book "Birdsong". I was about to pick it up a day or two ago, and hesitated before first seeking reviews from members of the forum who may have read this one. I don't usually read fiction, and therefore wondered if this one was worth the time.

Also, I had heard rumors that this book, Birdsong is going to be adapted to a major motion picture release?

Thanks as always

David

This is an excellent book and is one of my favourite works of fiction. It is honestly the only book I could not put down until I finished it.

The book has done much to stimulate interest in WW1.

During 2000 a poll was taken of the top 100 works of fiction of the Millennium (yes, stupid I know) and this was the only 'modern' work to feature - at No.45 I think.

I found the first 50 or so pages quite difficult going but then it just took off. It was so good that I never thought of querying the accuracy of some details but I never felt the need!

Plenty of insight into tunnelling and quite a bit of sex!

Guest Simon Bull

I agree that this is an excellent book. I read it whilst touring the battlefields, which was a very moving experience.

It has been persistently rumoured for some years that the book was to be turned into a film. However, I believe that it is actually going to happen now.

The book was also the subject of a very good BBC Radio 4 damatisation some years ago.

Simon Bull

The scenes set in the tunnels were amazing. I felt positively claustrophobic and really identified with the trapped men. It reminded me of the scenes in Zola's novel 'Germinal' where the miners are trapped in the pit.

I heartily recommend the book.

I finally read it last year after much 'putting off'. My wife (who I have forced into an interest in World War One) read it first and thought it was wonderful. She particularly empathised with the 1970's character who visited the Somme knowing nothing about it and comes away shaken from Thiepval. I suppose purists can quibbleabout details. Like Vietnam War novels all Great War stories fit into a sort of formula, but I thought that this was better than most and the framing story (sex and all) is moving. He obviously did a lot of research (unlike Susan Hill, whose 'Strange Meeting' of roughly the same vintage is full of howlers) and he is good on the claustrophobic atmosphere of the trenches and the tunnels. Reading it has persuaded at least one very clever and sensitive pupil to come on my battlefield tour. The film is set for release next year. Hope it's better than 'Charlotte Gray'!

She particularly empathised with the 1970's character who visited the Somme knowing nothing about it and comes away shaken from Thiepval.

Sebastian Faulks passage that describes the characters approach as she nears Thiepval for the first time is superb. I found the book like a good film on video - when you get to the end you want to rewind it to the beginning and watch it all over again.

That's good enough for me! I will be sure to pick it up later today, and put it to the top of my summer reading list.

Thanks to all who offered your views, I will look forward to sharing my own review in the coming days.

Best wishes

David

I agree with all the above comments - well worth reading. But also to add that (and I don't want to give anything away) quite a few of the incidents involving the tunnellers are based on actual stories and events to be found in Alexander Barrie's 'War Underground', so the accuracy is also good. Also, as Terry has pointed out, there's some quite graphic sex scenes, one of which in particular will, I doubt, make it onto the silver screen!!

Have read the book and agree... bound to be a film as his other work Charlotte Gray was turned into one....

John

EVERYBODY over 15 should read it - I always introduce sixth form General Studies classes to it and people do find it triggers a need to go to Thiepval - can't be a bad thing. However, I have a wife and daughters who think it one of the worst written books ever. They struggled through but constantly moaned about the writing. Never mind, great story so what the hell. Just don't be tempted to move on to " The Girl at the Lion d'Or" which must be the worst book in history, or the alphabetically-structured one about Anzio, which is the second worst. You see, I do try.

The book came together in the authors mind when visiting Amiens and as he took a boat trip around the "Hortillonages" or floating gardens as we might call them. After the trip (which I can commend to you) he walked back towards the cathedral (full of memorials and the french diocesan roll of honour) he looked along the "Boulevard du Cange" and spotted a house stood back from the road which became the model for the Red House.

It is available in french translation and a french friend to whom we gave a copy thought it excellent and very moving.

Well worth reading, but as with any work of fiction remember that it is fiction and not fact so what we might think of as historical errors in this and other books should not be regarded as such - it is fiction!

I really do not like to read " historical fiction". A fictionalized WW1 account by a man who was there is fine but I just do not want to confuse the real with the not real. This is not completely rigid on my part, I did try this and quit after 50 or so pages, just where Terry says it takes off. For good riddance I gave my copy away at a WFA meeting.

Hated it. (And I like sex... and tunnelling...) :rolleyes:

Without ruining the ending (although God knows why), I found the final scenes laughable and I pour scorn on Faulks' claims that he did extensive background research - he appears to have cribbed Alexander Barrie's book and left it at that.

It's sex scenes are unintentionally amusing and it's full of late 20th Century attitudes to the war and emphasises the fact that Faulks is a better biographer than novelist. I liked his 'Fatal Englishmen' (?) book.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is so good, why did one very prominent WW1 historian recently refer to the book as "bird sh*te"? He id admit that the dirty bits were quite good though!

I'd just like to reiterate the point made by another pal - this is a novel, fiction and not intended as an accurate historical record. The charcters may be based on real persons but shouldn't we be judging this book on its literary merits i.e is it a well written, entertaining and moving piece of fiction? Hope I haven't offended anyone as I know we all deal with real events on this - excellent - forum.

Cheers

Theo

If we're to discuss its literary merits, shouldn't we be doing it on a site for literature? I look at this site for its historical information.

Can we agree that anyone discussing it in a historical context should be advised (nicely, but VERY firmly) of its 'inadequacies' (?) in this area?

Incidentally, I thought I was the only one to call it 'Bird Sh*te'...

(By the way, thanks for your email, it was good to hear from you!. I wonder how heated this would get if we were arguing about it over a few beers in one of Nottingham's hostelries?!)

I personally enjoyed the book, I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but as it's been said you can't please everybody.

I would recommend it.

As for making it into a film, I think they should stay well clear, Charlotte Gray was awful compared to the book!

A superb book, so good I tried to be an evangelist and gave a copy to all my girlfiends of the late 90's. After susbsequent split ups my only regret was leaving copies in their homes, 5 different copies (not surprised its a best seller). My wife to be has now bought me a signed copy so I will never need to be without this book again!!!

Glenn

Bryn

the fine ale would cool down any overheated debate. Granted, this is not a literary site but worry that sometimes people can confuse fact and fiction.

Must do a few beers when you're next in Nott'm

I listened to most of this on a book tape and found it to be what i term 'flowery' and the sex was embarressing and made me cringe. I wouldnt mind but i was in my car and when i came to lights i looked around to see if anyone was listening.

I can not answer for the historical accuracy etc as i never got to finish it as i went on hols and could not take it with me to listen to as the mother was in the car with us and as we all know parents now nothing about sex, do they?

But i have read and watched 'Charlotte Grey' and found this to be of the same type very flowery and it left me wishing at the end i had not started, but then each to there own. I after all grew up on a diet of Leo Kessler and they were all blood and guts and not much story.

Faulks does at least try to get inside his characters.

only choice is too read and see how you go

Arm.

I'm afraid I didn't think much of this one either. I'm a bookseller and if sales are anything to go by, I'm in a minority in not having enjoyed it.

...and just think how many have been introduced to the Western Front by reading it. Me for one - I hadn't heard of Thiepval until seven years ago when I read Birdsong and asked a friend where this fantastic monument was. A bit odd that he doesn't name it in the book, isn't it!