Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most Unfavourable Ground

squirrel

I am sure forum members can imagine the scene at Loos or Auchy last weekend -

Oh, you wrote THAT book - can I buy a copy; would you sign it for me ... (for about the thirtieth time)

Niall " Well, I only brought five with me, and sold the first three at Victoria Coach Station before I got on the coach" I didn't want to bring 20 or 30 - they would have been too heavy to carry home"

So. Not much in the beer fund, then Niall.......

Paul,

You could always buy one direct from Niall - he's probably got lots that he didn't take to Loos.....

Interesting to hear over the w/e that the Corrigan book on Loos is still missing in action.

Oh, hell. That would explain why my bookstore hasn't been able to get it in yet.

I think I'll be changing my order; how do I get in touch with Niall again?

I shall be buying the book soon ( wife permitting) after the other day having it in my mits only for the owner to mumble something about 'its mine get ya hands off it' Some people are just rude!

I liked the look of the book. I know it sounds daft but I needed to see it before i bought it.

As for Mr Corrigan, well I become disalusioned by every month. To the point know where i will probably not buy it just to spite!!!

regards

Arm

I shall be buying the book soon ( wife permitting) after the other day having it in my mits only for the owner to mumble something about 'its mine get ya hands off it' Some people are just rude!

I liked the look of the book. I know it sounds daft but I needed to see it before i bought it.

As for Mr Corrigan, well I become disalusioned by every month. To the point know where i will probably not buy it just to spite!!!

regards

Arm

regards

Arm

Armourer,

Was it me that grabbed it back at Loos??? In wihch case you should have introduced yourself.....

NC

A second battle of Loos about a book about the first battle - interesting!

That was not you Nial do not worry, though it does ponder a thought that you obviously did it to someone!

I was not in Loos unfortunately. My encounter was with my local library, or a should I say Martin Wills. He tempted me and then took it away. he is such a teese!

regards

Arm

Armourer,

Was it me that grabbed it back at Loos??? In wihch case you should have introduced yourself.....

NC

Niall,

Arm has this generous turn of phrase when I kindly explain that Kate needs her copy back to take to Loos so the nice author can sign it for her.

I imagine by now he's worked out that Naval & Military have put the price back up to £25 from £9.99 so I expect he will be putting a cheque in the post to you if his wife will let him.

He is busy reading my "The Fighting at Jutland" at the moment. Now theres a battleground I've always wanted to visit - nut not a lot to see I fear.

Martin

Can you walk on Water Martin!

Arm

Well,  I have been spotted battlefield touring by boat before now!

And i bet I know what sideshow area that was? :lol:

Arm

• 2 weeks later...

I was speaking with my contact at Helion the other day and was told sales were going well, so I asked when the reprint happens I'd like to correct the odd unfortunate error that slipped through (all my fault)....was told the reprint will be in paperback.

So not wishing to make people buy a copy unless they want to, if you prefer hard back copies get a MuG sooner rather than later...!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I am making my way through the book and totally agree with the maps debate. Quality maps would add a lot to many books, and there should be a less expensive method of including them. The dust cover idea did seem reason able.

Of particular note Niall, I think your description of the movements of the 21st and 24th Divisions is particularly well done.

Andy

I got my copy, signed by Nial and by return of post, via Paul Reed's web site. Well done The Great War Forum! An excellent read.

Roxy

• 5 months later...

My copy came as a Christmas present and I have only just got round to reading it.

It is a masterly presentation on a little discussed battle. I enjoy very detailed accounts and this is exactly what you get. Niall uses a good mix of sources for his quotes - war diaries, battle reports, first hand accounts - which allow the book to pace along quite well.

I would echo the comments made earlier in this thread about the benefit a map would have made. It was hard to keep track of the various units.

If I was to nit-pick then it would be to comment on a more than expected number of typographical errors which have been missed in proof-reading. Not many - just more than one would have expected. I'm afraid it's something I notice.

John

• 2 weeks later...

regards

Arm

That would appear to be a very good move, from what I have seen.

M.U.G. has just moved to the top of my list.

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

I realise I'm a bit behind the times, but I've finally got around to finishing MUG. Wow!! It gives an excellent (concise & understandable) account of the events at Loos. It is especially handy if, like me, you're researching personnel & events surrounding the battle.

Thanks Niall for an outstanding read!