Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli photos

Andrew P

Andrew

Thanks for that; they're very interesting. I was intrigued by the officer in photo 32 who appears to be wearing a tunic with the buttons on the "women's" side, ie fastening right over left instead of the standard left over right.

Or could the photo be printed in reverse?

Regards

Gareth

Fanatastic find Andrew, these photo's more than any other that I have seen, bring home the steepness of the terrian and the living conditions.

Thanks

Kim

I've been reading all the Gallipolli posts which ahve been on the forum and thee pictures bring it all to life. The burial parties are nearly unberable to look at .

Marina

Hi

I was sent a link to this website with photos of Gallipoli which may interest some people. They include photos of Anzac Beach, the gulleys and the May 19th armistice.

http://www.photonet.com.au/Gallipoli/

Andrew, these are terrific. Thanks.

RObbie :P

Andrew,

they are great,

adds that little bit more for when i go back next year.

Mandy

Andrew

Thanks for posting that link. Having learnt early this year that a relative was killed on Anzac Beach in August 1915, those photo's made very intersting viewing.

Stephen

Thanks, Andrew, there are some truly remarkable pictures amongst these. I tried to open the www.photonet.com.au web site to see what the domain's owner focused on, but the site was declared to be under construction. Yet the Gallipoli page is there!?

Anyway, thanks again for sharing this

Chris

Andrew

Thanks for that; they're very interesting.  I was intrigued by the officer in photo 32 who appears to be wearing a tunic with the buttons on the "women's" side, ie fastening right over left instead of the standard left over right.

Or could the photo be printed in reverse?

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth

The photo labelled no.1 is apparently reversed, so there might be a couple of others also.

Cheers

Andrew

Excellent stuff! These photos are really quite impressive. Do you know who the photographer was, he seems to have the knack of bringing life into his photos.

Tim L.

Thanks for the link, Andrew.

The officer in photo 'Gallipoli 4' (it is reversed) is Captain Watson. The pier was built by mainly New Zealand engineers, but was named 'Watson's Pier' after Captain Watson, Australian Engineers (Signal Service), who supervised the work. A dud Turkish shell was used to drive the pylons.

I believe also that 'stereo 31' is reversed. If it is, it's possibly a view across Monash Valley to Quinn's Post, with Courtney's on the far right. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Excellent stuff!  These photos are really quite impressive.  Do you know who the photographer was, he seems to have the knack of bringing life into his photos.

Tim L.

Sorry Tim, no idea who the photographer was or if it was just the one person who took the photos. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much documentation in regard to these photos, but hopefully that will come as this website builds up.

Thanks for the link, Andrew.

The officer in photo 'Gallipoli 4' (it is reversed) is Captain Watson. The pier was built by mainly New Zealand engineers, but was named 'Watson's Pier' after Captain Watson, Australian Engineers (Signal Service), who supervised the work. A dud Turkish shell was used to drive the pylons.

I believe also that 'stereo 31' is reversed. If it is, it's possibly a view across Monash Valley to Quinn's Post, with Courtney's on the far right. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Thanks Bryn, glad to know Watson is in that photo. I'm curious to know who the officers are in No.32 & 33.

I'm presuming 33 is a Medical Officer as he is outside a dugout that says MO.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

Ripper photos mate. Thanks for bringing them to our attention.

Cheers,

Mat