Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Accomadation Ypres, Somme

paullaw1155

Three of us have returned from our battlefield tour this week. It started out on a high but ended on a low.

We arrived at Varlet farm on Friday for our two night stay. We was welcomed by Charlotte with some of her homemade apple pie and plenty of Coffee.She offered to lend us maps and guide books and explained about worth while places to visit.

Charlotte then showed us our rooms which were excellent, Clean and spacious. The fridge was stocked with plenty of the local beverage (nice to sample after a day touring) We can only descibe the breakfast as a banquet so much choice and plenty to go at. The icing on the cake was when we was told that we could make a packed lunch and use the cling film provided to wrap our sandwiwiches at no extra cost. Just before our departure Charlotte showed us her musem and gave a talk about the pieces that they had salvaged from the battlefield. we was then given a small souvenir to remind us of our visit. A great place to stay at and very highly reccommened. We hope to return.

From then on our visit took a turn for the worse. We arrived at Avrils at 17:00 and was told that our room was not ready yet (Avril was away) We purchased a round of beers and waited for our room to be sorted. We was then shown to our appartment. Suffice to say that we decided that one night in there was more than enough, unclean, damp, and a musty smell, and curtains that was hanging of the rails, no plug in the sink, and a shower that would not hang on the wall,bath panel not fitted correctly. The following morning I asked some of the other guests if we was being fussy, on seeing the room they agreed with us that is was not at all satisfactory.Took pictures and video of the place, Tried to contact the man in charge but could not do so. We then decided to pay up and catch a later ferry home. Managed to visit most of our intended sites so all was not lost.

Paul

Really sorry to hear that; glad you had a good time at Varlet Farm - she has always done my groups proud on all our visits there over the years.

On a personal note, it was nice to meet you outside Delville Wood.

On a personal note I have never stayed at Avril's but I am sure others will be along to counter your experience! Stopped for tea there once many years ago when the place opened - interesting cellars - terrible tea...

Seems a shame - but at least there is an abundance of choice for accomodation on the Somme these days with new B&Bs opening every year.

I am disappointed that someone should have had a bad experience at Avril's, as personally, I love the place, and go there at every opportunity. I have never had to wait for a room to be ready, and although my room has always been in the house as opposed to an apartment, it has always been in a perfectly acceptable condition. The 'Avril experience' cannot be fully appraised if the lady herself is missing, and that to me, was the greatest loss in the quoted case.

The last time I was there, we guests tried to describe what a stay there was like. We agreed that the nearest thing was as if you were staying with an aunt, where if you entered into the spirit of the place, you could end up walking the dog, feeding the goat, avoiding the killer chickens, and also have your enthusiasm for the Great War well stirred, with many a good conversation to be had over a communal dinner. Now that sort of thing doesn't suit everyone, and that's fair enough, but while I am back at work for weeks on end, there's barely a day goes by without me working out how long it is before I can return.

I totally agree with Jon and I have NEVER had a bad stay there.

I have had bad stays elsewhere on the Somme. Last year an overnighter B&B caught fire. This year, another overnighter I stayed (Avril could not put me up for one of my nights) charged me 63 Euros for a SINGLE B&B with continental breakfast. And it was nothing special.

The thing is that this particular B&B was strongly recommended, I think on this Forum. Total rip-off in my opinion.

No, I know where I go as of first choice.

On a more practical note perhaps you ought to send Avril a GENTLE email.

Martin

I'm another who enjoys staying at Avril's. My wife and I were there at the same time as Burlington only two weeks ago. We had a room in the house, one we have occupied on at least 6 previous visits, and were very comfortable.

Granted her rooms do not have the outwardly glossy appearance of Varlet Farm but even Charlotte has problems. The rooms in what she calls the 'dwelling house are no better than Avril's. In fact 6 -8 people sharing 1 bathroom/WC can cause problems. And I've stayed in the 'new' rooms when it was just a building site. Now don't get me wrong I am not criticising Charlotte, I think she's a super person, and I love staying at the farm. I've been many times and will go again.

But I do think you are being unfair to Avril- especially as you never got to meet her and explain your problem. She would have been mortified to learn you were unhappy and as for not being able to find the man in charge that's easy to explain. Their is no man in charge- that's why it is known as Avril's place. It is her venture and hers alone- apart from the bank and her sister. No man to help, or hinder her, apart from local builders etc.

Avril is a foreigner trying to run a business in a strange country, on her own, and with all the problems of learning about a different culture. Charlotte however is Belgian born and bred. She knows the ways of her country and her fellow countrymen. She also has the support of her husband and family- a luxury that Avril doesn't have.

And you know at the end of a day's touring round the Somme or the Aisne, when you're tired and weary, and possibly wet through, it's nice to know when you get back to Avril's you can get a hot meal and gallons of red wine to cheer you up. Think about that next time you have to drive into Ieper to get a meal. And yes I will stay at Charlotte's again- if she'll let me- despite the drawbacks.

Garth

This year, another overnighter I stayed (Avril could not put me up for one of my nights) charged me 63 Euros for a SINGLE B&B with continental breakfast. And it was nothing special.

The thing is that this particular B&B was strongly recommended, I think on this Forum. Total rip-off in my opinion.

Martin, I think you would be doing visitors a favour by saying who this is.

Prices of all the French B&Bs on the Somme, which are fully registered and many part of the Gites de France chain, are regulated. Mostly you would expect to pay around 40-45 Euros per night for a room; to pay more than 60 Euros is a hotel price, and quite outrageous.

I have listed Somme accommodation on my website (Somme Accommodation) which I have received a great deal of positive feedback about or know personnally; I am always happy to update this.

Martin, I think you would be doing visitors a favour by saying who this is.

Paul

I will PM you. It was an English run B&B. I would be unwilling to publicy name names on this Forum.

It would have been better if this thread had not been personalised. In the best ordered society, B&Bs included, things do go wrong. Rather than shout about it, a quiet word could resolve it.

Answer me this someone. If the situation at Avril's is so bad that Paul had to post an item to this effect, why is it so difficult to make a booking there?

I, and I assume most of her clients, book up months ahead and the place is usually heaving at least in the spring to autumn.

See you there!

Martin

Dear Garth,

Since it has been a while when you last stayed, I just want to point out that only 2 rooms in the dwelling house are still being used to welcome guests. And these two twin rooms next to each other are just being rent out as a family unit.(with an exception to the pals staying in those rooms... I thought you were all a big family :lol: ). Having to share a bathroom for a family, bringing their children, has never been a problem. As you know they also have a private sitting corner at their disposal.

All rooms in the extension are en-suite, and I can assure you that all building works are finished.

I know that you will probably stay with us again (I sure hope so) and I do promise not to make any mistakes with bookings again (believe it or not : you hold the record where as it comes to being confronted with my mistakes, sorry for that).

And while I have the chance : thanks once more for the eggs baskets! :)

Best wishes,

Charlotte

Charlotte

Of course I'll come and see you again. I love you madly and can't wait to see you again. Please believe me when I say that no criticism of you or Varlet Farm was intended. I simply thought that the original poster was being unduly critical of Avril and didn't make sufficient allowance for the difference in your situation. I do think you are very lucky to have the support of Dirk and the children.

If we still have problems we can talk about them when I see you on Saturday. I'll pack a tent and sleeping bag just in case. :D

Garth

Paul

Answer me this someone. If the situation at Avril's is so bad that Paul had to post an item to this effect, why is it so difficult to make a booking there?

I, and I assume most of her clients, book up months ahead and the place is usually heaving at least in the spring to autumn.

See you there!

Pals

I booked our accomadation in January/Feruary this year and have been looking forward to this trip for three years. I can only report back at to the state of our accomadation as we found it (was we Unlucky?) I would presume no one has stayed in the appartment that we stayed in???.

I booked both places on the strenght of internet links and had no other way of knowing the suitability of our chosen venues. It would appear that if one can only offer posotive comments this would be acceptable, (we have seen posotive and negative comments on the ferry sytem P&O,Norfolk Line,Speed Ferries)likewise accomadtion should be an area for feedback.

The chap I tried to contact on the morning of our departure was Avrils son. The decision to forgo a extra day on the Somme was not taken lightly.

Paul

Paul

Which 'apartment' were you in? The main house, above the tea room or in the bungalow opposite?

If it was in the main house or above the tea rooms then I know that all these places were occupied until the week before last, because I was there. I can't speak for the bungalow.

I still think that you should contact Avril and I must stress, she would not get so many repeat bookings if all was not well generally.

Indeed, I am taking my wife to Avril's in september and she is notoriously fussy!!

Do I need to panic Garth??? Don't tell me I did it again! :D

Charlotte

Can anyone fill me in on how Avril's place has changed? I stayed there several times when she had just opened up in the early 1990's- accomodation was basic but homely, all in the main house. I think Jon's "staying with an aunt' analogy is spot on. I ended up doing the BBQ with my dad, feeding the chickens and digging out a trench in the back garden! But the atmosphere at dinner was always great with many rip roaring debates.

I expect it's all change now- are there tea rooms there now?

Mark

Yes there are tea rooms there now, with a 5 bed flat above. The breakfast is taken in the new tea rooms and the evening meal usually in the old tea room.

Accommodation now includes Avril's sister's bungalow over the road. Avril has also bought up the barn system over the road.

Oh, also there is to be an enclosed verandah in front of the tea rooms. Whilst I was there, it took 2 french workmen 3 days to lay 1 course of block!!

Apart from that, nothing seems to change. Chickens, lambs etc thrive. Good food, lots ofwine & chat and so on.

Sounds good, was (and is!) a brilliant place. I remember the young warden of Newfoundland Park turning up for the BBQ's and being told stories of all the ins and outs of looking after the Park, the "secret" tunnels, carrying newly unearthed ordinance and praying to God it didn't go off...

I remember being talked into walking Avril's dogs in the moonlight at midnight down the old Beaumont Road... fantastic stuff.

I was always amazed Avril could rustle up a big dinner for all her guests on her little domestic cooker. It's probably been replaced now but she certainly is a character.

M

I met Avril quite recently and was most impressed by her enthusiasm and friendliness, it's where I'll stay next time on Somme.

Paul

Which 'apartment' were you in? The main house, above the tea room or in the bungalow opposite?

If it was in the main house or above the tea rooms then I know that all these places were occupied until the week before last, because I was there. I can't speak for the bungalow.

I still think that you should contact Avril and I must stress, she would not get so many repeat bookings if all was not well generally.

Indeed, I am taking my wife to Avril's in september and she is notoriously fussy!!

We was above the cafe part. When you park your car facing the house we was in the right hand side, From the comments above it would appear that we may have been unlucky. I am not over fussy. I agree that it was not so good that we could not see Avril to iron the problem out. Our thoughts was that "we are only lads they will make do???"

Paul

Ladies & Gents,

I have lost count of the times I have stayed at Avril's and had a great time on each visit.

On my last stay there was a group of 'camponologist's' staying there as well who before dinner performed the 'last post' on their hand bells, which despite my initial sarcasm were fantastic and experience I will never forget. (or my attempts at playing them after a hearty meal and copious lagers.)

looking forward to my next stay there in September (if i don't manage it before)

regards to you all,

Scottie.

Paul

I have just got back too and was sorry to hear of your experience and sad you came back a day earlier than planned as I know how long you have planned this trip.

Our trip fortunatley went really well and i am going again in May next year to Ypres area with our WFA group. Will speak with you soon no doubt??!!

This is a really interesting thread. Avril benefits from the patronage of a number of well-respected historians and 'personalities'. She is a straight talker. She's also a great enthusiast and she infects those whom she comes into contact with by her passion. I've passed through her Tea Room several times; visited her cellars thrice and stayed once.

Now there's the rub. I've stayed there. The first night, she'd forgotten that I was coming. No dinner. But not to worry; she put me onto the [La Salle au Couchon] at Authuille which is now one of my all-time favourite 'treat' restaurants.

The next night, Avril fed me, along with all the other guests. Now, the meal was not haute cuisine, but the company was erudite, friendly and animated. And the facilitator? Avril.

So, in short, if you want luxury, great comfort and a big bill then Avril's is not for you.

If you want to go somewhere to meet folk of a similar ilk, and to be looked after by someone with (probably) a greater passion than your own, then Avril's is great. There are other places on the Somme battlefield that are pretty good and which I will continue to patronise. But if you want Forum talk all night, in a good, relaxing environment, then Avril will work hard to provide it for you. Whilst she's not entirely primus inter pares her commodity is unique, good fun, stimulating and good value - give me her location anytime over and above a hotel.

Chris

<_<

I agree with the thrust of Chris' comments on the Avril experience. I have had some memorable stays there and as has been said Avril is a real character. I particularly remember a lovely evening nursing a full belly in front of a blazing fire where we all just nattered about the war and things in general. The weather that day on the Somme had been rather inhospitable and I think that we had the full benefit of the bliss of escaping from those weather conditions. A recommended place to stay but quirky things will happen. Get into the right mind-set to just smile and enjoy the whole thing.

I would thoroughly recommend a stay at both Charlotte's and Avril's. We should be very grateful that such establishments exist to cater for us.

P.S Nice to hear of a decent restaurant on the Somme at Authuille. They are a bit thin on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pals,

When I am on the Somme i stay at the Hotel De La Bascillica in Albert on the main square. I do not hear much about this hotel on the Forum. is there any reason for this. I know myself that the Lady of the houe can be a little frosty, but on our third visit we managed to get a smile.

Ross.