Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meeke Brothers

carninyj

I was up in Derrykeighan Old Cemetery recently and took this photograph of the Meeke tombstone that Robert Thompson had erected. I think the text might be of interest , especially to Irishmen among the Pals.

regards

Carninyj

post-3682-1115749282.jpg

Nigel

John Meeke was not involved in the post war fighting in Ireland, though he had been a member of the original UVF. I think he had seen enough of war by the time he got home. He died of natural causes in December 1923, aged 28. He was quite young and I would imagine that his family would have attributed his death to his war service, though the relationship was indirect.

Samuel Meeke was captured on 21 March 1918 and sent to the notorious prison camp at Langensalza. He was forced to work in the sulphur mines, and was often badly treated. On his release, only a short time after the Armistice, his health was so poor that he died about fortnight after arriving home.

Regards

Carninyj

J - great job. One question ... I wonder why the Meeks bros. ended up in the Inniskillings when the 12th Rifles would have been, more or less, the 'local bunch'?

Cheers Des

Cannot help you there, Des.  They may simply have been posted after training.

Regards

Carninyj

Thanks for sharing and showing a bit of Ulster history.

Liam

Hello All,

Only one brother is commemorated in Ireland's Memorial Records;

Meeke, Samuel. Reg. no. 28917. Rank Private, 2nd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Died home, January 19, 1919. Born Dervock, Co. Antrim.

Regards,

Liam.

The new headstone was only unveiled on 11 November last. I think I remember seeing a newspaper report of John Meeke's funeral in 1923 which implied that his health never recovered after his war experiences. I think I'm right in saying that John Meeke is supposed to be one of the Ulster Division stretcher bearers who attended to Willie Redmond after he was wounded.

I'll see if I can dig out the original newspaper article.

Swizz

Of course if I had looked properly at the photograph I would have seen the REdmond connection... D'oh!