Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex dead- memorial tablet

Patrick H

2.BURKETT W Pte born Brentwood, enlisted Warley, dow home 30.8.27 aged 25

7/Essex buried Lorne Rd Cem Warley

This soldier is not lsted in the SDGW Essex Regt presumably since it was so long after the war but he died of wounds received! But he would have been 16 ? at end of the War ! Something doesnt add up.

Is it unusual to have someone recorded on a memorial who had died so long after the war ? I am sure the date of death must be wrong but if it was 1917 then why is he not in the SDGW?

Patrick

Thinking he might have been attached to the 7th, I had a look at the SDGW Essex Regiments and third page:

1st Battalion

Burkett, William, b. Brentwood, Essex

e. Warley, Essex (Felstead Essex).

32167, Pte. , d.o.w., Home 30/8/17.

Here are his CGWC details: Pte. W. Burkett

They were only ten years behind.....

Cheers, Michael

Thanks Michael, it didnt occur to me to check other battalions !!! The CWGC refer to Christ Church Cemetery but there isnt one ! There is Lorne Rd Cem which is now closed (an interestingly contains an ornate tomb to PC Guttridge who was shot though the eyes by 2 villains- nothing to do with 1WW) and another at Woodman Rd. although I have never seen the memorial cross there !

So now I have graves and memorials at

Lorne Road Cem

Woodman Road Cem

Christ Church Memorial tablet (inside the Church)

All Saints RC memorial tablet (on outside wall)

There does not appear to be a comprehensive list of Warley boys who died in 1WW but a scattering of memorials and lots of boys who died and were buried in Warley but did not come from the Parish i.e they would have been stationed at Warley Barracks at time of death.

So lots to do then to sort that lot out !!!!!

Patrick

Just noticed SDGW Essex say year of death 1917. CWGC put it at 1918 - so who is correct !

Patrick

Attestation Papers???

Are you looking for those who went to warley and enlisted or those from the parish?

John

Ian,

im only looking for those of the Parish. I rather think the enlistment list would be a bit long. With it appears 4 seperate memorials.cemeteries its taking a bit of time identifying let alone finding out what they did.

Patrick

sorry john, why did i say Ian ???

Patrick

Just noticed SDGW Essex say year of death 1917. CWGC put it at 1918 - so who is correct !

Darn!

Don't know. I also checked the Mic's and there is only one Burkett mentioned in the whole Essex Regiment. Let's keep on digging...

Michael

Patrick

Patrick

For what its worth - My money would definitely be on CWGC 1918.

Glyn

Glyn,

If thats the case then how much reliance can i put on the SDGW as being accurate. As a matter of interest who actually compiled the lists of the dead. If it was the Regiment then did they pass them onto the CWGC or was it the other way round? Having read various other threads about names missing from memorials etc etc there must have been great confusion.

Patrick

ps did you find out any more on your Greygoose man! ?

Patrick H said:
Glyn,

If thats the case then how much reliance can i put on the SDGW as being accurate.

Patrick

ps did you find out any more on your Greygoose man! ?

Patrick

The SDGW is superb when searching but take a look at this thread

Shows the many discrepancies between SDGW and CWGC.

As for my Greygoose man - seems to have come to a dead end - But never say never.

Glyn

Glyn, what is it you are looking for on your Greygoose chap? I dont have any more military on him than you would have but I do have a substantial family tree for the Greygoose family and there may be something there !!

Patrick

Patrick

The GRO death indices give:

Burkett William H

Age 24

Death registered September quarter 1917

Bethnal Green 1c 188

Trust the death certificates! :)

Sue

Thanks Sue,

that seems to have cleared up that little mystery. So its the CWGC who have got it wrong and they have him as 25 years and not 24. Hvae amended my records

Thanks

Patrick