Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Football Memorial

ypres1418

Hello gang,

A few years back we were travelling around the Somme (like you do when it's raining and the kids can not play football!!!!) and we came across a memorial to a footballer.

Now I can't remember where it is and I want to go back and take a photo and put a Poppy on it again for my own footballer Zeb.

Can you help me please??????

Mandy

PS i hope I am right and it is the Somme and not Ypres, in which case it will have to wait til November (have had a drink and a sleep since then).

M

thank you,

thats the one,

now i have to brush up on my french and decipher what is written but not tonight i will do it tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Mandy

My attempt at translating the text. I hope it helps.

The monument to the memory of Donald Bell was unveiled in 2000. It retains the symbol of the wooden cross, which had, for a long time marked his grave on this spot.

This was ultimately moved and can now be found in the Gordon Dump cemetery. The Victoria Cross is carved on his Tomb Stone.

Donald Bell was believed by others to be very sporting. When he was contacted by Bradford Football club to become a professional footballer. He played several games in the English First Division before the war started. He enlisted in 1914 and joined the West Yorkshire Regiment, and was also the first footballer to join up. In 1915 he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Yorkshire Regiment.

In 1916, his battalion was engaged in the battle of the Somme. On the 5th July, his battalion attacked but was quickly stopped and decimated by a German machine gun. To relieve the tricky situation in which his battalion found itself, Donald Bell acted fearlessly. Using his speed and agility he reached the machine gun post without being wounded. He killed the gunner with his pistol and captured the number 2.

It was for this action that he was recommended for the VC.

Five days later, they were in action near Contalmaison. His battalion, on the defensive, was subjected to German counter attacks. An English assault was mounted to repel them. Donald Bell was one of those who left the trench and he was killed shortly afterwards at the spot where this monument has been raised. The spot quickly became known as Bells Redoubt

Nigel

To answer the final part of the topic title - "Where is it?"

You need to get to the village of Contalmaison. In the village take the road signposted Fricourt, and you don't have to go far before you see a minor road on the left. The memorial is about 100 metres along this minor road, on the left.

Tom

Hi all,

thanks for the responses,

will get to see it in july

the boys i am going with will have to take me!!!!

still they won't mind.

see you all there,

Mandy

Mandy,

If you are ever in North Yorkshire go to the Green Howards Museum in Richmond, lovely display of Don Bell's possessions including his last letter home and bullet damaged helmet.

Bob.

Bob,

Thanks for that,

don't get up north much these days,

parents like to come to the seaside so i have got lazy of late and let come here instead of going home to Lancashire!!!!

Mandy.