Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RESEARCHING A SOLDIER.

steve140968

:blink: Can anyone please advise me as to where to start to see if someone has a great war history just from their name and birth place ???

Regards ,

Steve .

Steve,

I what context? It's quite a tall order to try and establish if someone served in the armed forces based on just on their name and birth place.

If it's a common name, how are you going to determine if you have the right person or not?

What details do you have and I am sure we can try and point you in the right direction.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

I help in another forum for ww1. You would be surprised how many times people ask 'how do I reseach my grandad who was in ww1?'

They dont give his name or even the Army he was in or if he survived, So lets start with his name, location,which Army he was in and if he survived then we will know how to proceed.

The guys in this forum trip over themselves to help all pals when they need a dig out but they are not psychic and need basic information to begin.

regards.

Tom.

:blink: Hi guys , the only information i have at this VERY early stage is that he was Harry Bush , born Warwicks , Coventry in 1897 . I seem to remember as a child my mother speaking of him being in the army but am not entirely sure , hence the research . As there are no surviving direct relatives additional information may be hard to come by .

Regards ,

Steve .

Steve

This is not going to be easy. But easier than when I read the first post. The Medal Index Cards at the NA list 28 Harry Bush - but you can add to that Harolds and Henrys - so you may be up around 100. Much better odds than if he was Fred Smith.

First thing to check is the 1901 Census to see if you can confirm a name, age, place of birth and likely other family (particularly those who might have been of age to serve). Next will be to check local newspapers for the war period for any mention - this is not going to be easy as if he was still in large city like Coventry, the reporting might be more sketchy. You'd also be looking out for any mention of the the other family members ( in this you could also have a look at the CWGC for any Bush from the Coventry area - possibly the other family members). Also worth a look will be the 1918 Absent Voters List for the area (and probably the 1919 one as well)

Then it's probably a long hard slog through the service records at the NA (bearing in mind that only about 30% survive, the odds are aginst you finding anyone).

I suspect this will be one of those projects where I'm glad its you doing it, not me. But good luck. Hopefully, other folk will come up with useful ideas

The obvious Regiment for him to enlist in is the Warwickshire Regiment. You could ask Rob Williams to look up the name in his Database. (And that's a Database with a capital "D") in the Units & Formations Forum.

He has all sorts of sources in that one I think. The regions newspapers of the time have been thoroughly scoured, I believe.

Steve.

Steve

The only person with the surname Bush that I can find born in 1897 Coventry was Thomas Harold N. Bush. This could be your man who was known as Harry. Do you know if his father was called Thomas ?

Anyway if this is your man the extra names may narrow down the search.

There are no Harry Bush's registered in Coventry in 1896-1898. Could it be possible that 'Harry' was a term used for the forename Horace?

There is a birth registered for a Horace Frederick Bush in 1897 in Coventry Registration District and as stated his local regiment would be the Royal Warwicks. A search of the MIC's online reveals a Pte. Horace F Bush 41620 Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Could it be him?

This could all be a complete red herring but I hope you find your man.

Steve

The obvious Regiment for him to enlist in is the Warwickshire Regiment. You could ask Rob Williams to look up the name in his Database.

Steve.

Unless he's back using a pseudonym, I don't think Rob Williams is active on this forum any more even though his thread continues to get requests.

Paul

I've checked the 1901 census and there is a Harry F Bush aged 4, born 1897 in Coventry living at 16 St. Peter's Street Coventry with his father Arthur (35), mother Annie (37) and elder brother Arthur E Bush (14).

My guess is that Harry F and Horace Frederick are one and the same.

Steve

The obvious Regiment for him to enlist in is the Warwickshire Regiment.

...or the Royal Artillery, etc., etc., etc.! He could possibly also have been RFC, RN, MN or even in a "reserved occupation" or not served at all.

It's all really purely surmising just off a name alone and , without further details, it's impossible to be certain you've got the right one.

Dave.

I wasn't assuming that he must be in the Warwickshire Regiment, Dave. I just though that a look up in Rob Williams database might find a reference with a bit of background. Just a place to check.

A reference there might have been something to follow further, but, as it happens it appears that Rob is no longer active here, so a moot point.

Thanks,

Steve.

The Warwickshire Regiment database thread is still on the go, with Terry Carter at the helm.

With all the caveats that Croonaert rightly gives that he literally could be in ANY Regiment, it's up to you whether you want to pursue the Warwickshire angle, Steve.

Steve.

Steve

The only person with the surname Bush  that I can find born in 1897 Coventry was Thomas Harold N. Bush. This could be your man who was known as Harry. Do you know if his father was called Thomas ?

Anyway if this is your man the extra names may narrow down the search.

While researching I have come across many examples of men who used their middle names instead of their first names as they had been christened with the same first name as their father, which as you can imagine then led to confusion. Harry was often used as a variation of Harold. Just one example: Pte. Richard Harold Page Herefordshire Regiment - known as Harry Page - KiA 19th August 1915.

Myrtle

:) WOW !!!!!! Thankyou all so much . I'm sorry that the information i have at this time isn't more detailed . I'm in the process of trying to find out additional information , but as no direct relatives survive it is going to be difficult . I knew that this would be difficult if not impossible , but what better place to get help . I will post any additional information as and when it becomes available , thankyou all once again .

Steve .