Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cleethorpes

Guest edwinwrg4751

Guest edwinwrg4751

two questions really,does any kind soul out there know if mm's were mentioned in local papers and also how do i find out about local papers in cleethorpes.

grateful of any help given

MMs were listed in local papers , in my experience .

A quick Google found

this page for Cleethorpes, Grimsby & The North East Lincolnshire Wolds

which may be of help although I have not checked it fully.

Stuart

Hi Edwin

You need to try Grimsby library, it holds microfilms of several local papers that covered Cleethorpes during the Great War. One, if not more of these papers carries local MM lists and sometimes brief mentions of how and where the medal was won.

Grimsby Reference Library, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, N.E. Lincs

Tel: 01472 323600

Hope that helps

Chris

Guest edwinwrg4751
Hi Edwin

You need to try Grimsby library, it holds microfilms of several local papers that covered Cleethorpes during the Great War. One, if not more of these papers carries local MM lists and sometimes brief mentions of how and where the medal was won.

Grimsby Reference Library, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, N.E. Lincs

Tel: 01472 323600

Hope that helps

Chris

many thanks chris i will send a letter and see what i can find out from the library

Hello Edwin,

Your post was brought to my attention by Chris. I often check out the newspapers at Grimsby as part of my research. If you could supply some details, such as your mans name and an estimate of when he was awarded his MM then I will gladly have a look for you next time i'm at the library.

Yours,

Steve.

Guest edwinwrg4751
Hello Edwin,

Your post was brought to my attention by Chris. I often check out the newspapers at Grimsby as part of my research. If you could supply some details, such as your mans name and an estimate of when he was awarded his MM then I will gladly have a look for you next time i'm at the library.

Yours,

Steve.

many thanks steve his name was gnr.edwin wright 173868, b battery 330 brigade rfa, i dont know any dates but he reeived it in between march 1917 and received notification on 19/3/1918 in the london gazette. i would assume about dec 1917 give or take a month or so either way.

sorry i cant give you any more help he lived at 14 tiverton rd cleethorpes according to the absent roll i beleive.

many thanks for any help you can give.

edwin

Hello Edwin,

I'll certainly have a look for you, hopefully this week.

Regards,

Steve.