Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Simon Jones

Hi Simon

I am working on a book (1st & 2nd K.S.L.I.) and I would like to use a little part of the letter dealing with the 8th, do you mind, if not thats find.

Regards

Annette

Thank you for posting this letter. I am moved by it's content, and by the fact that it has endured over the many years. What a treasure.

Amanda

Hi Simon

I am working on a book (1st & 2nd K.S.L.I.) and I would like to use a little part of the letter dealing with the 8th, do you mind, if not thats find.

Regards

Annette

Annette - that's OK, I suggest you credit it to me & this website.

Mandy & Amanda - thank you for your comments - I will post some of his other letters when I can transcribe them.

Regards

Simon

I have transcribed an earlier letter of Walter Stamper's and posted it in units.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon

I will indeed credit you and the Forum.

Again Many thanks

Annette

Thanks to all of you for such an informative post! The extracts from the war diaries etc. are fantastic.

I am researching a PPCLI man killed on this day.

Regards

David

51279 Pte. George Thomas King

Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry

Born at Newmarket Suffolk England on May 6, 1893. The son of George and Harriet King of 2 Windsor Terrace Exning Suffolk England. Employed as Dairyman (presumably in Western Canada) before enlisting. Joined the 23rd Battalion CEF on December 14, 1914 at Regina Saskatchewan.

Arrived in England and joined the PPCLI Reinforcement Draft. Crossed to France in 1915, joining the ‘Pat’s’ in the St. Eloi sector on March 1, 1915.

Killed in action during the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge on May 8, 1915. Age 22 years. His name is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial for the missing.

post-106-1115839290.jpg

51279 Pte. George Thomas King

Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry

Born at Newmarket Suffolk England on May 6, 1893. The son of George and Harriet King of 2 Windsor Terrace Exning Suffolk England. Employed as Dairyman (presumably in Western Canada) before enlisting. Joined the 23rd Battalion CEF on December 14, 1914 at Regina Saskatchewan.

Arrived in England and joined the PPCLI Reinforcement Draft. Crossed to France in 1915, joining the ‘Pat’s’ in the St. Eloi sector on March 1, 1915.

Killed in action during the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge on May 8, 1915. Age 22 years. His name is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial for the missing.

Thank you David, I find it incredible that he had so little training and very sad that he survived for such a short time - the Patricia’s were supposed to be old soldiers who were ready to take to the field without the long period of training that the New Armies required.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

What you say about the Patricia's is true when talking about the regiment as it sailed to England and on to France straight into the trenches with the 80th Brigade about nine weeks after they arrived in England.

Pte. George Thomas King was part of a draft of reinforcements for the P.P.C.L.I., not an original, a significant difference...even though at the moment I don't know if he had any previous military training before enlisting.

Michael

Simon,

...even though at the moment I don't know if he had any previous military training before enlisting.

Michael

Michael

Here is his attestation form which shows that he had no previous military experience.

Indeed the original concept of the Patricia's did not last very long.

Regards

Simon

Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my answer Simon,

What I wanted to stress is that the founder of the privately funded P.P.C.L.I. wanted to raise a Regiment which could be in action as soon as possible. For this purpose the recruiting was done on basis of former and/or active military (war) experience. Hence 94 per cent of the originals were experienced/trained soldiers. Not necessarily in trench warfare mind....

So there was never was an original P.P.C.L.I. concept in that sense.

As far as I know the P.P.C.L.I. didn't have any influence on the method of selecting and training of the members of drafts which joined the regiment in the field.

Cheers Michael

I think we are in agreement over this, Michael.

Regards

Simon

I think we are in agreement over this, Michael.

Regards

Simon

Sorry Simon,

Never got the notification of your answer nor was your post among the not seen ones???

Answer: affirmative ;)

Michael