Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inauguration of Whitehill Bordon War Memorial

Rosemary Clarke

This letter of invitation appeared in my local press a few days ago:-

'To celebrate 100 years since the first troops came to our town we will, at 11 am on Monday 30 June, hold our inaugural service for our new war memorial. The town' s people, with help from Hampshire County Council, East Hants District Council and the Canadian Veterans, have made it possible with their generous donations. We still need to fir block paving costing £1692 but with your help this will be raised...

...We are very pleased that the first wreath will be laid by the town mayor, who as our grants member has worked so hard to make it possible. Thanks also to the Commandant HQ REME, Bordon and the National Chairman Canadian Veterans' Association who will also lay wreaths. We have been busy contacting relatives of those in our book of remembrance who will have an important part in the ceremony...

Although it is on a Monday morning we do hope that lots of residents and friends can come along next to One Stop which is just up from the Fire Sation crossroads and remember to bring your cameras as the Staff Band of the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers will be there in their best uniforms. This is to say thank you for all your help. To make it that special, please wear all your medals, and if you have relatives from your family please wear them on your right breast with pride.'

Steve Johnson, Secretary, Whitehill Bordon War Memoral Association

Given the history of the area, it amazes me that no memorial has previously existed, so it is good to see such a project succeed.

Regards

Rosemary

Guest Hill 60

Typical :(

I had the chance of going to the area last Sunday or next Monday, guess which day I chose?

I visited some of the CEF graves at Greyshott and Bramshot, lovely areas.

I visited some of the CEF graves at Greyshott and Bramshot, lovely areas.

Absolutely right; it's a beautiful part of the world, just at the edge of the soon-to be-South Downs National Park - not that I'm at all biased!

A shame that heavy rain is forecast in the area for tomorrow morning, unfair considering the weather this weekend but never mind...

Rosemary