Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War series

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

Have I missed something? Have the BBC stopped showing the Great War series?

I didn't think we'd come to the end of the series, but when I checked last nights viewing I found that there was a number of history programmes but no GW show.

I think the BBC2 showing of the programme has, yet again, been suspended because of a sporting event.

Presumably, it will resume once Wimbledon has finished.

Rosemary

Guest Hill 60
I think the BBC2 showing of the programme has, yet again, been suspended because of a sporting event.

That's what I thought was going to happen but BBC2 didn't show any sport during the evening.

I have a sneaking feeling that it may have been dropped after the 6 RMP Officers were killed.

Right, I'm off to make my 4th complaint to the BBC about their programming :angry:

ps: As for BBC4 <_< I asked if it would be possible but was told I can't get it!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The second episode last night was special for our family as one of our relatives can clearly be seen marching to the front not wearing his helmet - had my wife in tears :(

Ian

As for BBC4 <_< I asked if it would be possible but was I can't get it!

Lee

I think the Wimbledon coverage finished early because the Henman match finished early.

BBC4 is one of the new digital channels you cannot receive although you are a license payer! You need to buy one of the £100 special boxes to do so.

We refuse to do that at the moment!

Ian

Guest Hill 60
BBC4 is one of the new digital channels you cannot receive although you are a license payer! You need to buy one of the £100 special boxes to do so.

I know about the top-box, but they only work if your aerial can cope with the signal. It's all in the Good Ol' BBC's small-print <_<

As for Mr Henman, the sooner he is knocked out (either in the tournament or literaly :lol:) the better!

I gather you're not taken with Mr Henman then, Lee?!!

Incidentally, I seem to have adopted a pseudonym for my previous posting.

Rosemary

Guest Hill 60
I gather you're not taken with Mr Henman then, Lee?!!

All tennis players should be fired to the moon :rolleyes:

So, when did you become Ian :huh:

Rosemary,

Can you assure us you are still Rosemary?

As for digital, we too are in the same position as Lee. However in our case even if we bought a box and aerial there is no signal available in our area and no plans for there to be so in the forseeable future. You would have thought the Beeb would have arranged to have the local transmitters altered so all we licence payers could obtain the same service, but apparently the ability to actually watch the programmes they make is not the issue.

What is the next sporting event after Wimbledon? Just wondering what the next interruption will be

Guest Hill 60
What is the next sporting event after Wimbledon? Just wondering what the next interruption will be

Probably the Tri-Annual Giant Snail Crawl.

I have complained the Beeb about their continual dropping of the GW series and was told that more people would want to watch sporting events than this series. I wrote back asking that if this was the case, why was it put on when known sporting events were coming up? I didn't get an answer, nor when I asked why it was dropped in favour of a new series called 'Monk', which isn't a sporting event.

As I've ranted before on the forum the whole BBC scheduling of this series was a fiasco. Saturday early evening is the first slot to get bumped by Wimbledon, Snooker, Last Night of the Proms etc etc. At this rate it will take them the next five years to show the whole thing! Far be it from me to be cynical (and I'm a great defender of the Beeb usually) but it seems to me to be part of a concerted plot to force you to get their digital service or buy the boxed set on DVD.

Guest Hill 60
Far be it from me to be cynical (and I'm a great defender of the Beeb usually) but it seems to me to be part of a concerted plot to force you to get their digital service or buy the boxed set on DVD.

Mark - I did ask if that was the reason in my letter (the one they replied to) but they didn't answer that point <_<

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Don't forget the Rugby World Cup isn't far away, then there's the final of the cricket riangular series and the footie begins again!

At this rate the series will take longer than the war itself!

Ian

It's the Tour de France, which at least can claim a Western Front connection this year since the leg tbe held on July 7 starts from La Ferté sous Jouarre. Be interesting to see if the Marne memorial gets a mention.

Guest Simon Bull

If Mark is right the BBC has won the Battle with me - I have given up and bought the DVD.

Like Mark I am a staunch defender of the BBC (friends in the USA tell me how awful in quality and one-sided in coverage their media is (should that read "are") - eg suppressing criticism of the Iraq War and sacking staff who were known to not be on the "right" side), but I think they got it badly wrong re this. Why not show programs which do not form part of a series in this slot on Saturday early evening which is plainly going to be constantly affected by sports coverage?

Simon Bull

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Unbelievably BBC 4 showed another episode this evening (Sunday)!!

I suppose there is some sort of method in this madness.

Ian

It's the Tour de France.....

If only.... Channel 4 dumped that so they could show Big Brother for Five hours each night. God Almighty!!

BBC2 did say on air at the end of the last episode of Great War that it would return after Wimbers. Cross fingers. Mind you, after all the hype and nostalgic affection for it among you old guys, is it really better than the later version from the 80s (?). The lack of creditation of veterans is appalling, isn't it.

So, when did you become Ian

Well, Lee and Kate; it's been a very strange weekend and I can't be sure of anything, anymore.

That includes BBC policy. I am also a defender of the BBC and public service broadcasting in general but current policy seems to contradict the philosophy of that.

Given the justified publicity which surrounded the launch of The Great War series, things seem to have gone rather badly and given the importance of the subject-matter does not reflect well on the approach to scheduling.

Also, in my opinion, paying one's license fee should entitle one to view all BBC output without additional expense.

Rather straying off-subject; a sympton of my apparent identity crisis.

Rosemary

I would favour full coverage of Olympic-standard Tiddly Winks.

I certainly agree that the scheduling situation is chaotic and suspect that the current BBC ethos looks down its nose at "war" in general. If it also screws up home taping of an expensive boxed set , so much the better for the BBC.

Having the DVD boxed set , I would have to agree with Graham that it is frustrating to watch with the lack of credit information and repetition of stock shots but it was made with absolutely no spare time available to the production team and their achievement was remarkable given the constraints.

However , I must admit to having little sympathy with folk who sit watching their antique TV's and listening to MW/LW radios demanding as licence payers that they are given access to anything that interests them being broadcast on the current hundreds of TV and radio channels. Get real ! It can't be done. Get some of those white fivers out from under the bed and buy some new kit !

Guest Hill 60
Get some of those white fivers out from under the bed and buy some new kit !

Oh, I wish I had the money to get new kit! Have you ever had to live on Housing & Incapacity Benefits? To give you an idea of what it's like to be on long term sick then I'll give you an idea.

My rent is £595. My Housing Benefit is £350 and my Incapcity Benefit is £170. Work out how much I'm left with each month (including gas, electric, food etc) and you'll see why I can't get the latest kit :(

Got to go now, I have to rehearse my lines for a little job I'm doing later.

"Reach for the sky" "This is a real shooter" "Don't anyone be a hero" :ph34r:

Guest Simon Bull

Lee

I think you have all our sympathies, and it has to be remembered that all these new technologies are expensive to keep up with for those who have to make ends meet on a limited income. We live in a society in which the have nots are more and more left behind by the haves. A little of the compassion that those whom we remember displayed, together with the spirit that those whom we remember form the Second Wordily War brought home to build the NHS etc would not go amiss.

Also Ian's contribution simply misses the point that sometimes these new technologies simply are not available to all. I know this from fighting a bitter battle with BT over Broadband, which they will not make available to me even though i live close to two large towns. Similarly, although i have not researched the point thoroughly I believe I cannot get digital unless I am prepared to pay money to Murdoch, which nothing short of physical violence would persuade me to do.

All the best.

Simon Bull

Guest Hill 60

Simon - Thanks for your message. I didn't put my posting here to get sympathy, but I appreciate it, thanks mate!

Being a have-not is a real bummer!

A couple of years ago I started planning a trip to Ypres for this November, that is looking less likely. I'd like to have gone to the Somme services this week, and I'd like to buy more books and medals etc. However, there are others worse off than me and I'll just have to 'grin and bear it' until I (eventually) have the operation and return to work.

:mellow:

Guest john craven

I taped the build up to the Somme Saturday evening, but missed the main event, the Somme its self. It just not fair.

John

folk who sit watching their antique TV's and listening to MW/LW radios

Actually, my television is no antique (is there such a thing?) and I listen to the majority of radio output via FM!

Lee, I know you aren't seeking sympathy but you have my concern, particularly at the lengthy wait you are having prior to your operation. Hopefully, not too much longer before that happens - courtesy of the NHS to which Simon referred.

Regards

Rosemary