Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme 1st July

ianw

Eurotunnel seem to still be offering their day return for 39 quid so 'er indoors may give me a leave chit. This year, I hope to bring a couple of local teachers with me.

I presume some special events will be planned for 2006 but I wonder if anything interesting is due this year ?

Are any other Pals definitely going over ? I think Paul Reed is due to be at Longueval as usual ? Perhaps a meet for a beer and a baguette could be in order - at Longueval or Le Tommy or similar ?

Hope to see some folks over there in hopefully good weather.

I had entertained thoughts of going over, as it is a weekend and I could just about make it there and back and still go to scghool on Monday. However, I have heard rumours that every hotel room and campsite space within 50 miles was booked up months (in some cases) years ago. I might delay my visit until later in July.

Mark - You are probably right about the accomodation. Fortunately for us guys that are close to the Channel Ports, we can contemplate a 24 hour thrash down - leaving home at midnight should enable us to be down there easily by 6am to watch the sunrise over Beaumont Hamel or similar.

Of course, you feel knackered the next day and come back late kept going by Red Bull, but it's well worthwhile.

I have heard rumours that every hotel room and campsite space within 50 miles was booked up months (in some cases) years ago.

Mark.

As long as it's just a small tent, you should be OK with the camp-sites. I've been over on a few occasions for the 1st July commemorations,including the "biggies" such as the 75th,80th and 85th anniversaries, and always found a pitch with no problems, usually arriving on the 29th/30th June. I've never booked in advance and, indeed, on a couple of campsites, you can't anyway!!!

You're probably correct about the hotels/B&Bs etc, though ,never having stayed in one at this time, I can't comment.

Dave.

Dave-are you contemplating going next year?

It's definately in the "thinking about it" phase at the moment! :D

Dave.

Dave:I had thought seriously of doing a school 'mini' tour next year for 1st July, with some battlefield 'keenies' and a couple of staff. The problem is insurance/health and safety-you can no longer just take the school minibus and a few chosen pupils as happened when I was a lad. If we go at all it might just be with adults and small tents. I'd appreciate your advice at a later stage.

I think Paul Reed is due to be at Longueval as usual ?

Yes, I will be helping out at Delville Wood from 30th June until 2nd July, with my usual info table and Soldiers Died look-ups. Happy to chat with anyone who turns up!

I would LOVE to go but I will be returning from Edinburgh on 1st so would miss all the fun.

Robbie

I'd appreciate your advice at a later stage.

Mark.

If you think I can help in any way, feel free to ask, whenever. :)

Dave

Mark,

we have stayed at authuille and now stay at Julie Renshaws with tents and cars.

right on the battlefield and good fun,

Mandy,

PS usually never full and the field is big and the grass mown.

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...
we have stayed at authuille and now stay at Julie Renshaws with tents and cars.

right on the battlefield and good fun,

Hi, I'm off on June 31st to the area, with a pal, and I'm wondering if this Julie runs a campsite, or does she just let friends stay on her land? I need to stay near the Ocean Villas/Beaumont Hamel, and I have a car too so travelling ain't a problem for us.

<_<

Right on which battlefield?

Cheers.

B)

Im hoping to go if i can get over there.

As for hotels is alway worth trying the formula one motel near peronne .

At £20 a night you can go wrong.

as for next year the GWS will be there in force

fraser,

as far i am aware julie will let you stay on the grounds, hope to see you there, i will be in the tent between the white van and a big red pick up, but don't let them put you off, a cold beer will be waiting if you come to say hello,

Mandy.

• 2 weeks later...

Im making my second visit at the end of June and into July and would like to meet anyone from the Forum. Since its a long way to come I am doing it over two weeks. I will be in Ypres three nights of 20th to 22nd, Arras 23rd, Le Cateau 24th, Laon 25th and 26th, Peronne 27th to 1st and Rouen 2nd and 3rd.

I know to look for Paul Reed when I get to Delville Wood but is anyone else in sight? Where and how?

Kathie

Kathie - Hope you don't feel foreign this time if you see a certain colour.

Des

Eurotunnel seem to still be offering their day return for 39 quid so 'er indoors may give me a leave chit. This year, I hope to bring a couple of local teachers with me.

I presume some special events will be planned for 2006 but I wonder if anything interesting is due this year ? 

Are any other Pals definitely going over ?  I think Paul Reed is due to be at Longueval as usual ? Perhaps a meet for a beer and a baguette could be in order - at Longueval or Le Tommy or similar ?

Hope to see some folks over there in hopefully good weather.

Iwill be there and camserbat,

we will be at the camp site in ALBERT the bug,3pigions,la tommy bar.

joe(rumjar)

• 2 weeks later...

Even better news on Eurotunnel. The day return deal has now been extended to 2 days duration so plan to travel over at 1am on 1st July , well in time for Lochnagar, and travel back Saturday evening. The price is a staggering 38 quid.

Accomodation is 13 quid each for basic B&B at the Formule 1 in Peronne. Cheap as chips in my opinion.

Hope to see some of you guys over there and booking some nice weather.