Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where Do You Get Your Euros?

chrisharley9

Can anyone suggest the best method of obtaining your Euros for the best exchange rate? Would I better using a cashpoint in France/Belguim> Any suggestions gratefully received

All The Best

Chris

In a recent survey published in the Daily Telegraph the best exchange rates at the time were given by Lloyd's bank. The worst way to get them was from a European cash machine using a credit card.

I am not an employee of either the Daily Telegraph or of Lloyd's bank and get no reward for passing this information.

Garth

The Post Office will do it for free (not too sure of their exchange rate, though); provincial POs will provide them but you need to pre-order.

Otherwise, mug a Frenchman whenever funds run low...

Richard

I find the local Co-Op travel shop is as good as anywhere. No surcharges if you pay for the euros using cash.

Tom

I get all my o/s currency from NatWest for free. They don't charge any fees at all if one has an Advantage Saver current account.

Robbie

I get all my o/s currency from NatWest for free. They don't charge any fees at all if one has an Advantage Saver current account.

Robbie

I thought you got the euros from the cashpoint near Varlet Farm Robbie? :P

Many thanks for the useful sugguestions - although I'll only use Dick's if truly desperate

All The Best

Chris

Being a tight wad, I tap up people coming back from continental hols and offer to buy their euros at mid-rate so both parties benefit. Trouble is, people are travelling so often nowadays that more and more like to keep or 200 or 300 euros in their sock drawer as a contigency fund.

Recently in my local P.O , a woman could not change her euro coins and I got 25 euros or so for 10 quid.

Obviously, commission free offers can be poor value if the actual rate used is poor.

If you get them with a credit card, I think you pay a cash advance fee as well.

The best way to exchange currancy has always been with someone of that country you visit, luckily this forum has people in several countries and they maybe able to exchange Euro's for Sterling if thats what they want. Unfortunatly for you the exchange rate at the moment is 67p to 1 Euro, but i dont think you will get anything near that at a bank for small amounts

Usually I take me vast pile of Northern Bank notes over the border and exchange them ... £1000 of Northerns for £100 Euro :P

I thought you got the euros from the cashpoint near Varlet Farm Robbie?  :P

Indeed, Derek. That was Plan A.

Robbie :lol:

Otherwise, mug a Frenchman whenever funds run low...

Richard

I always use local ATMs these days.

Saves carrying round pockets full of cash for the whole trip and negates the risk of being a victim of those following Ricardo's advice.

John

I lived in France and never bothered opening a French bank account, I just used the ATM and had funds paid straight into my account in the UK. Much easier that way.

My local Lunn Poly do not charge a commission for Exchanging £ to whatever~even small amounts~which has been handy if buying from E Bay,etc; from Oz,NZ;,Canada,US of A; & Europe; on occassion,when Paypal isnt an option & the Ex rates have usually been favourable ;)

Open a Nationwide Flex Account and use their debit card for purchases abroad. You get a very good exchange rate, apparently the best of any card..

I ordered one on line this morning, Mark, and got it straight away, even though I put 'retired' in the occupation box. Still in the land of the living after all! And I paid an expensive accountant for the advice - should have known where to look first!

Cheers

Graham

My local Lunn Poly do not charge a commission for Exchanging £ to whatever~even small amounts~which has been handy if buying from E Bay,etc; from Oz,NZ;,Canada,US of A; & Europe; on occassion,when Paypal isnt an option & the Ex rates have usually been favourable ;)

Harry - is that the one in Wisbech

thanks to everyone for their comments

All The Best

Chris

On a couple of occasions I have done the rounds of all the local options for changing currency. For significant sums (say £250 and above) I have found the most cost effective to be Thomas Cook (better than banks, buildinig societies, other travel agents etc.). I must admit that this came as a surprise but I've generally stuck with them since then and have never found cheaper. Interestingly they were also prepared to haggle. When I found an agent which would give me 1 euro more on a deal of around £500 Cooks simply said they would better that and did so by a couple of Euros. I do get over there often enough, however, that I never need to change Euros back.

I did find some french francs I had spirited away some while after they had gone out of use. I changed them (you can still do this) at a set rate at any Banque de France whilst in that country (any denomination, coins included) though it was an interesting experience and I still have the sheets of A4 issue dat the time telling me how many coins and notes of each denomination I handed in and how many coins and notes of each denomination I received. The security involved in getting in and out of the branch also had to be seen to be believed.

Open a Nationwide Flex Account and use their debit card for purchases abroad. You get a very good exchange rate, apparently the best of any card..

I use this method - take the cash from an ATM in France or Belgum, and get the exchange rate on the day. No fee, straight out of your account, no fuss.

Graeme

Moving on to the related subject of paying abroad, and linking it into the mention of Nationwide above, if you pay your bills by UK credit card when you are abroad, you are often charged 2.75% by the issuer for the privilege of doing so. Except for Nationwide - I have a Nationwide gold card which I use solely when abroad, sometimes getting queries from Nationwide as to whether I want to keep the card when it hasn't been used for a while! But if you use it in a hole-in-the-wall for cash, you get charged a cash advance fee, so better to use a method described above for cash.