Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

soldiers numbers

Guest edwinwrg4751

Guest edwinwrg4751

can any one pleese tell me if the soldiers army number during ww1 denoted when he joined. my grandads army number was 173868 i don't have any idea when he enlisted or conscripted any help would be of great assistance.

Edwin the number you have given is one issued from about April 1917 as part of the Territorial Force renumbering. He may have a previous number which should show on his MIC card. It is highly unlikely that a RFA number will easily indicate date of enlistment unless it is prefixed. You should try and check for your mans Service Record.

Roop

Edwin the number you have given is one issued from about April 1917 as part of the Territorial Force renumbering. He may have a previous number which should show on his MIC card. It is highly unlikely that a RFA number will easily indicate date of enlistment unless it is prefixed. You should try and check for your mans Service Record.

Roop

I think that the number given is a little low for that. For example, RFA TF re-numbering starts at 630,001.

Sorry not to have been more positive!

Ed

OK Ed, I do not have the number ranges to advise. I assume Edwin refers to an RFA man from his other posts.

Roop

Guest edwinwrg4751
OK Ed, I do not have the number ranges to advise. I assume Edwin refers to an RFA man from his other posts.

Roop

there seems to have been a lot of mix ups in numbering. he was tf and born in october 1898.i am not sure of age of conscripton? i have no information of him being in a previous unit.i would like to find out though.

Edwin,

Your man has two MIC cards neither of which show any further regiment details as you ahve already established. Given his date of birth and the number information it is likely he joined up around the time of the renumbering. I note you mention conscripted is this something you know happened?

Alternatively there may be other MIC's to this man. Did he have any middle initials ?

Roop

Guest edwinwrg4751
Edwin,

Your man has two MIC cards neither of which show any further regiment details as you ahve already established. Given his date of birth and the number information it is likely he joined up around the time of the renumbering. I note you mention conscripted is this something you know happened?

Alternatively there may be other MIC's to this man. Did he have any middle initials ?

Roop

many thanks for youre reply roop i didnt know he had two mic's and i only assumed he got conscripted i can hear every body shouting at me " dont assume anything", normally i dont. he didnt have a middle name.

i would be grateful for any info that may help me find more details about granddad.