Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Aubers Ridge

Mark Hone

In memory of all those who died in the ill-fated assault on Aubers Ridge, 9th May 1915. They included friends from Bury Grammar School Privates Harry Ratcliffe and John Whittam of 1/4th Seaforth Highlanders. The assumption is that these two deliberately joined the same battalion in order to serve together. Harry was a plumber from Hampton St, Limefield Bury, who enlisted in Manchester. John was a solicitor with the London County Council, having moved from a similar job with Bury Corporation. He joined up in Bedford. Harry died of his wounds on 11th May and is buried at Cabaret-Rouge Cemetery. John's body was never found and he is commemorated on Le Touret Memorial. Unfortunately I have been unable to trace a photograph of John Whittam.

post-120-1115480813.jpg

As I've increased my research into this part of the war, it makes these anniversaries more meaningful.

Mark - How is the research for your school trip coming?

Andy

Thanks, Andy, the research is coming along OK. I am planning to do a recce of the Aubers Ridge battlefield this summer, possibly with local Pal Laurent to advise.