Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jack Evison

chrisharley9

Hi Everyone

Can any Pal help with indentifying the uniform of this chap. Very little is known about him. Can anyone help with the upside down strripes on both arms. He has at least 2 medal ribbons. Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

All The Best

Chris

post-4020-1115477757.jpg

& the 2nd photo

post-4020-1115477820.jpg

hiya chris,i am new to the forum so i hope you dont mind me having a bash,there are some very clever folks on this forum so this could be my first comeuppance,here goes,the stripes onhis right arm are overseas stripes,he seems to have five[strange]they are all blue except the last one which is red,the red one means he was overseas before 31st dec 1914,the two stripes on his left arm mean hes served six years[one stripe 2 years,2nd stripe 6 years,3rd stripe 12 years and fourth stripe 18 years]going back to the overseas stripes,the red one was issued in 1918,heres where i get my a*** kicked,i think the first may be the BEM,military division,issued 1918,the second may be the st.john life saving award,its difficult with black and white photos,the BEM ribbon at that time was light pink with a thin white stripe down either side the only other ribbon thats light in colour is the 1914 little londoners guilhall banquet medalwhat i do find strange,is hes not wearing the1914 or the 1914-15 ribbon he was entitled to one of these unless he was in india throughout the war,the 1914 ribbon was inst in 1917,the 1914-15 star 1918,i think you need a far superior brain than mine about the ribbons and there are quite a few on here,but i,me not budging on the stripes,good luck,bernard

chris,i forgot to mention,dont you find it strange,that, hes served right through the war,has six years service and hes still a private,and if the ribbons are the awards i mentioned its even stranger,bernard

chris,i forgot to mention,dont you find it strange,that, hes served right through the war,has six years service and hes still a private,and if the ribbons are the awards i mentioned its even stranger,bernard

I think that there were many 'qualified' old soldiers who choose to stay in the rank they were in having no desire to lead and i guess in some instances no leadership ability.

Old soldiers never volunteer motto and all that.

regards

Arm.

ps thats assuming he did not get promoted and busted back down!?

Many thanks to you both - I will try to scan the photos again to see if I can get them clearer

All The Best

Chris

Ive a closer a scan of the medal ribbons if anyone is able to help please

post-4020-1115740656.jpg