Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres visit

Ferret_uk

Hello pals

Well ive just got back from my visit to Ypres & France, we arrived in Ypres last sunday to what was a glorious day!!, anyway the reason we stopped in Ypres on our way to France was so i could pay a visit to my Gt grandfathers resting place in Coxyde cematery.

After a quick stop in Adinkerke, i found my way into Koksijde which was'nt to hard to find and finally to the gate that leads to the cemetery, i must say that when i arrived at the headstone i felt very emotional and shed a little tear, i want to thank all the pals on this forum who made it possible, to help me in tracking down my Gt Grandfather, as far as iam aware and my mother im the first family member to visit which also made it special and to be able to take along my son to see his Gt Gt Grandfathers resting place made it even more special, a memory that will live with me forever thanks to the pals on here.

Below is a picture of me and my 5 year old son.

post-1497-1115465153.jpg

also may i add that that the last post ceromomy at the menin gate was very very moving that evening due to a canadian band that played before and after the last post and also a lone piper, my wife whos it was her first visit to Ypres and the gate was in floods of tears and i had a very large lump in my throat, was very moving. and also thanks to jacky for allowing my son over the chains to avoid the crush ;) .

Mick.

Mick,

Glad to see the man I took photos for last year (must have been first week of June ?).

Just this : I did take the photos, but .... did I send them all ? (You may remember it was a rather confusing period for me at the time.) I intended to send 7, and in last year's emails found I certainly sent 3, but I'm not sure about the rest. Did I send them ?

I really hope I did, for now I realize that I have deleted the specific headstone photos, even from my back-up drive !

Glad to see it was an enriching trip !

Aurel

I have visited Ypres many times and its charm never fades. The Last Post at the Menin Gate never leaves me unmoved. I am always impressed by the visiting British schoolchildren, who are so noisy, but as soon as the ceremony starts you could hear a pin drop: they usually lay a wreath or two with the utmost dignity and respect.

If at all possible I pay a visit to the Shell Hole Hotel, run by John, an ex-Falklands paratrooper and his Belgium wife. The bar is a part of England (Britain?) in the midst of Belgium. It is a meeting place for ex-pats living in the vicinity and UK visitors in the know.Attached to the hotel is a shop where John sells books and other items connected to WWI.

Often I am accompanied by a friend, who has purchased so many Belgium chocolates from a shop in the town, that the shopkeeper rushes out to shake his hand if he notices him outside the shop!

A distant cousin of mine lies buried in Nine Elms cemetary near Poperinge. Apparently he survived the 3rd battle of Ypres only to be killed when a German aircraft flew over the rest lines and dropped a bomb.

Great gesture Mick; your son will always remember and carries it forward; another Great War soldier who is not forgotten!

Aurel,

Yes my friend i got them and have them safe and sound on CD, and by the way i hope things are better now?.

Thanks for the replys guys, John i can only concur with your recommendation for the Ariane, what a top hotel although the missus never liked the bread for breakfast :blink: , always something!!.

Mick.

Well done Mick.

Your son will have ingested a lot on your trip. He'll soon be asking to go back "over there".

to be able to take along my son to see his Gt Gt Grandfathers resting place made it even more special, a memory that will live with me forever thanks to the pals on here.

Mick

Wonderful stuff - this is what makes it all worthwhile

Mick..............I know exactly what you mean & I know that is difficult to describe the feeling with mere words.............on the recent Pals trip to Ypres I was lucky enough to pay my respects to my Great Uncle for the first time...............I am the only member of my family to have been able to do so.....................I know you will hold the moment dear to your heart forever

also may i add that that the last post ceromomy at the menin gate was very very moving that evening due to a canadian band that played before and after the last post and also a lone piper, my wife whos it was her first visit to Ypres and the gate was in floods of tears and i had a very large lump in my throat, was very moving. and also thanks to jacky for allowing my son over the chains to avoid the crush  .

Mick.

Mick,

You can find some pictures of this Last Post here.

I think you are on some of these pictures, if I compare them with your photo on top this page :) .

The Nanaimo Concert Band stayed at St-Juliaan for some days. The St-Julien Elementary school is twinned with the Canadian Scottish Regiment with a branch in Nanaimo BC.

Robert

Your picture is worth a thousand words, and just as many tears. Beautiful.

Amanda

Thankyou Amanda ;) , Robert, thanks for the link to the pictures great stuff and yes im on one or two of them, some great pictures there.

Mick.