Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FIELD AMBULANCE RECORDS.

steve140968

:blink: Can anyone please tell me whether any accessable records remain of 89 field ambulance ( 25/2/1917 ) , 87 field ambulance ( 24/4/1917 ) , many thanks , Steve .

Steve,

The War Diaries held at the National Archives have the following references.

89 Field Ambulance = WO 95/2297 1916 Mar. - 1919 July

87 field ambulance = WO 95/2296 1916 Mar. - 1919 July

These cover the particular dates you looking for.

Hope this helps.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

;) Thankyou very much Paul , do you know whether these would likely to contain individual names of casualtys ?

Regards ,

Steve .

Steve,

I know that with most Regimental war diaries they only usually mention Officers but not "other ranks". However, from time to time I have come across detailed casualty lists, so you may get lucky. The best thing to do is go and have look, or if you are a long way away, try and get someone to do it for you.

Hope This Helps.

PAUL J :ph34r:

;) Thanks Paul . It's a shame as i've only just come back from the National Archives last week , however this is certainly on my list for next time .

Regards ,

Steve.

Steve

The unit war diaries mentioned above are a record of the actual units - movements, administration, comings and goings of the staff of the unit etc. Patient admission and discharge registers and medical records were held separately. There are no surviving A & D records for 87 and 89 Field Ambulance, but as mentioned previously there's a very small chance that lists of some sort might be held within the unit diary [but definitely don't hold your breath].

Regards

Sue

;) Thanks Sue , very much a long shot but you never know . Another 'long shot', would you know where i can find information regarding 2/2nd south ( could be north ) midland casualty clearing stations whereabouts during 1917 ? I'm trying to make a link to my grandfather as it seems he may have been there on the 26/2/1917 .

Kind regards ,

Steve .

Steve,

The 2/2 South Midland FA is under = WO95/3051 Sep 1915 - Jul 1919

The 2/2 North Midland FA is under = WO95/3018 Feb 1917 - Jul 1919

Again, as Sue has mentioned, this is the movements of the FA itself, so it will be pot luck if any mention of your relative is made.

(Whoops! I have noticed that you are asking for CCS details and I have provided the Field Ambulance data, Sorry!)

WO95/417 Covers No.56 CCS (South Midland) in the period April 1915 to March 1919. Also WO95/501 covers No.61 (South Midland) CCS from May 1916 to May 1919. This also covers No.53 CCS (North Midland) from Feb 1915 to June 1919.

Hope This Helps.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

;)Many thanks Paul . Would you know which one if any were known as '2/2' ???

Regards ,

Steve .

Steve,

Sorry mate, the detail comes from the book Locations of Hospitals & CCS 1914-18. In this it only mentions either South or North Midlands and does not deatil numbers.

There may be a Pal with more CCS knowledge than myself who may be able to help on this. Either that or get the documents out at the NA and see if there is any mention of which one is which.

Regards

PAUL J :ph34r:

;) Thankyou very much for all your help Paul , next step NA !!!

Regards ,

Steve .