Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What and Where

Boreenatra

Any ideas as to whats likely to be in the cart and where this might be. Regards Steve.

Looks like a Tommy in the cart to me!

Seriously, though, I assume AOD means it's Ordnance, and it looks rather home-made - the wheels are amazingly 'naive', and those planks of wood across the front look pretty amateurish, too. I like the fly band on the equine part of the equipment.....assume that means it's warm weather.

No help at all, really, but it is a nice picture of the 'useless mouths' in (ahem) action!

Guest JIM EDWARDS

About those wheels. They look quite nifty to me. The spokes are attached to the hub on a tangent ,alternately inner and outer transfering the load to a wide rim. Would have thought that that cart could have managed a fairly heavy load in soft ground. Don't think the same could be said for the "engine".

We think it might be Egypt according to a family member. Will try and find some more info. Regards Steve.

We think it might be Egypt

That could explain the odd wheels, I would think the width would help stop the cart sinking in sand ?

Annette

He is Edward Collins 31936 and he was in the Royal Fusiliers, and before that in the 1st Bat Bedford Regiment and finally the Essex Regiment.According to hie records at the NA he was in Salonica and was part of the Egypt Expeditionary Force.Regards Steve.

P.S. Just as an aside, he was a dock worker before the war. Does anyone have or know a link to any dock workers union records. I've contacted the T.U.C. but they couldn't really help.Any info appreciated.

The picture does not impart the image of Egypt , the driver looks like ASC without his bandolier and the uniform does not look tropical . The window glass looks more akin to a factory in the UK. The wheel design is not at all unusual and was used in larger scale on traction engines and then on 8 inch and 6 inch Howitzers.

Roop

I didn't think it looked like Egypt either but when your mother in law tells you thats where it is then................Regards Steve.

Thats true!! However, the brickwork would be consistent with Anglo Eygptian style building but I remain unconvinced.

Interesting picture though.

Roop

I think I may have posted this before but it could well be the same place. Does the building on the right have the same brickwork?I'll ring M.I.L. and ask her!! Regards Steve.

I remember this one Steve and my thoughts were that it looked very much the same AE style. Khartoum was suggested but the buliding are not high enough. It may well be Egypt.

Roop

I think you are right Roop.I checked back but the pic was on the " old" forum and I couldn't be sure which one it was,as there may well be one or two more. I would still like to know what these lads were doing. Regards Steve.

Heres AOD no 2 with your man with it. AOD No 1 is the other cart (surprisingly)

I beleive the first picture of this post was taken in the right corner of your second picture, you will just see the start of one of the windows. The time of day would very much influence the shadow so we can assume it was taken in the morning as the second picture camera is facing north.

It further explains the use of iron wheels in that wooden ones would not be repairable (no wood of type). Also the rather unfinished cart design , straight shafts etc

Still dont know where , or why etc yet but !!

Roop

And I suppose AOD No.3 is the other cart. There seems to be little to identify these lads, and the 2nd officer from the left looks crap on his donkey.Would the different uniforms be a clue. Regards Steve

Dear Roop Found a picture of our man Pte Edward Collins 31936 Maybe a clue from this. Regards Steve.

Hi Steve,

Well now, the uniform is again a tropical version. All pictures so far show this same darker version. Nothing to conclude from that so far as I am aware.

Your man looks more mature than I had expected and the lack of any visible rank badges or shoulder titles does not help either.

However, several Batts of the Essex Mob ended up in Egypt after gallipoli and remained there untilt he end of the war.

Do you only have his MIC or have you tried for his SR??

Possibly the Garrison Battalion but that is pure conjecture.

Roop

Roop . Got his Tags and his Demob Papers however it may not point to where he was when the pics were taken but judging by his age it would probably have been in the Essex Reg. Checking my notes from the NA I've got Bedford Reg. 12th Oct 1915, Royal Fusiiers 3rd March 1916 and Essex Regiment 7th October 1916 Couple of other details, 5th March 1918 transfered to East Surrey Reg. E.E.F. and also reported to Essex Reg. hospital 28th March 1918. Also references to Salonica.,but as you are aware some of the stuff on film is so difficult to read. One other interesting thing about Ted Collins is apart from the fact his name was Sam he was a bit of a lad and if you check on the Time Machine....where would you go thread on the Utterly forum you will find a posting about him.I do know apart from the 28 days and forfeit of 19 days pay, he had hell to pay from the old girl coz it wasn't her house he was caught in. Happy days... Regards Steve

What date was his discharge? Both the Essex and East Surreys were in Egypt just to be helpful!! The East Surreys however were there after the war and later Khartoum.

Roop

He was transfered to Army reserve on April 19th 1919. Thanks for your time and effort cos I can see by your postings you have a lot on the go at the moment. I.ve got some more stuff to sort out and will post when I do. Meanwhile if anybody else can identify when and where all info appreciated. Regards Steve.

Just a thought tho I wonder who takes these photos and with what, but I suppose thats another topic. Regards Steve.