Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cementery upkeep

7:29am

If a war grave is in another ie not military cementery, are they obliged to upkeep the graves or do they receive money in form of a grant?

Because i have one of the tattiest war graves in Europe closeby.

Cheers

Jim

post-6613-1115399575.jpg

This is in the same cementery and is one of the most interesting war graves in europe. The man who never was

Cheers

Jim

post-6613-1115399678.jpg

Jim - where is this cemetry? and why do you describe the one gentleman as 'the man who never was'?

Andy

"The man who never was" was the name of the film based on the true story of how the British created a fictional Major Martin (who was really a dead tramp or something that they dressed in uniform and dumped on the Spanish shore) to try to convince the Germans they weren't going to invade Sicily...

Operation Mincemeat

"The man who never was" was the name of the film based on the true story of how the British created a fictional Major Martin (who was really a dead tramp or something that they dressed in uniform and dumped on the Spanish shore) to try to convince the Germans they weren't going to invade Sicily...

Operation Mincemeat

who was actually a drowned victim of the HMS Dasher sinking off the Clyde and not the welsh tramp here who died having swallowed rat poison.

Aye

Malcolm

I gotcha! I've heard the story.... but didn't make the immediate connection. I'm a little slow on the up-take today.

Andy

Jim

The condition of the headstone is the responsibility of CWGC's UK area office at Leamington Spa. Email them and report its condition (The address is ukaoffice@cwgc.org).

The stone will be on a three year inspection cycle by the local area inspector but may have been missed - or there are plans for replacement.

Major Martin's grave in Huelva Roman Catholic Cemetery, Spain is an official war grave despite the fact that he was dead before he 'joined' the service! He is listed by CWGC under his real name, Glyndwr Michael.